What kind of external hd do I need?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by truckmount, Jan 10, 2016.

1. truckmount macrumors newbie

truckmount

I want 3 people to be able to access it and upload video work onto it for storage and have it somehow fail proof. Perhaps a raid so if one drive fails or what do you recommend?

I am looking for a 4-8TB hard drive.

Then a separate hdd to use time machine on just for my iMac or should I use the shared drive for that?

What do you recommend to do this?

2. cynics, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

cynics macrumors G3

Any reputable NAS with WD Red or Seagate NAS drives set up in the RAID config that works best for you.

I'm partial to Synlogy. If you goto their webpage they have a tool to help pick out what would work best for you.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

There are other good brands out there too like Qnap. You can plug in another external to most NAS for you TM however I recommend keeping it on the NAS.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Have you thought about how you're going to back up that shared drive?

4. truckmount thread starter macrumors newbie

truckmount

I thought if I have a shared drive raid that has two drives in it auto mirrors another drive in case one fails? Or what do you recommend?

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I agree that RAID is nice as a first step. It doesn't protect against an accidentally deleted file, or a corrupted file (I.e. you can't open the file anymore because of some software bug during the last edit). Or other stuff like theft or water/fire damage.

So I'd recommend a second enclosure that regularly backs up the first one (like Time Machine does), plus an offsite cloud backup. This is not just mirroring; it means saving multiple versions of files, over time.

I think the Synology software can support both of these.

6. truckmount thread starter macrumors newbie

truckmount

Thanks for the reply! Can you recommend a complete setup I can get everything you recommended for maybe between 750-1500? I just don't know where to start.

7. cerberusss, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

You'll need two Synology units, the main one could be the 514+ which costs 540 euros. If you start with two Western Digital RED disks, 6 TB each, that's 2 x 260 euros. You'll then have 6 TB if you mirror them.

For the backup, you could get the same setup. But you can also get a cheaper/older Synology, for example the Synology 416j which is 300. Getting that with one hard drive is fine, with enough bays to extend it later.

That would bring initial cost to 1620 euros is 1770 USD.

Backing up a symbology to another one is documented here:
    https://help.synology.com/dsm/?section=DSM&version=5.2&link=BackupApp/repository.html

Furthermore, there's a standard software module which lets you back up the Synology to their cloud. There's a monthly cost involved but I don't know how much that is.

(Note that the Synology series has a particular way of numbering. First is the number of drive slots, then the year it came out, then there's an indicator for the speed/feature set. Thus 514+ means: 5 bays, came out in 2014, and the plus means business. There's also j for junior (cheap but slower) or "play" for media purposes like hooking up to a TV.)

This is just an example setup and I'm not an expert. I hope other commenters can jump in and correct/optimize the above.