What kind of external HD should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Heya! Wasn't sure exactly where to put his but figured since it's for my MacBook pro this would be a good start.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to get an external HD for my mbp. I would like a terabyte but would settle for 500gb I the price was right. I know next to nothing about these so any help would be appreciated. I don't need anythig too fancy, as long as it holds all my stuff and works with time machine I'm good.

Thanks!

2. kawixsiyu macrumors member

I have the Iomega ego 500gb external. I picked it up because it has firewire 800. I could not find another portable drive at the time (last july) that had this. Alot of people complain about the top falling off, but I have never had anything wrong with mine.

3. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I Picked mine up for a little under $100 about 3 months ago at BestBuy. It's nothing too fancy, but it's perfect for my time machine backups

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 and an external enclosure. The 500gb and 1tb versions are really fast, if you can find them (Newegg is out of stock of both).

6. Razeus macrumors 601

I have the 320GB version for backup up my DSLR photography. I find that the build is excellent but the wire for the FW800 is flimsy and easily gets disconnected.

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

SO, I needed to grab one tonight so headed over to my local best buy with your suggestions, unfortunately I saw none of the above listed hard drives.

I ended up purchasing a seemingly generic WD My Passport 500gb. It got very good reviews on Amazon and seemed to be just what I needed for $129.99.

With that being said, I saw the WD My Book next to it for the same price but it was 1tb and firewire. It was also twice the size and looked as if it needed to be plugged into a socket. Would this have been a better buy? Seemed to big and unportable for me (even though I doubt ill be bringing my external too many places.)

Thanks for the feedback!

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what are your needs? How do you plan on using it?

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Basically just going to transfer stuff onto a new computer, and plan on using it to back everything up here and there. At least a year.

Just realized, this wont be compatible with windows will it?

10. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You can format the drive for Windows (NTFS) then use the NTFS-3g/MacFUSE driver for Mac to get read/write support under OS X.

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Once I do this will I have to reformat to mac?

And is this easy to do? Thanks : )

Also, does it seem like I made on OK purchase for my needs?