What kind of external HD should i use with Final Cut?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oxband, Sep 15, 2009.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I finally got Final Cut Studio, and I'm stoked to start using it! I've been told that it is best to assign my scratch disc to an external hard drive. Thinking about this, I have 4 options. Any thoughts?

1- Use a hard drive I have. I already own two 1TB Seagate free agent drives. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Desktop-External-ST310005FDA1E1-RK/dp/B001AHSNB0

2 - Buy a G-tech hard drive. Someone told me they are especially good for software like Final Cut

3 - Construct my own external by purchasing separately a frame and then some memory. I've never done this before, but I've read it's not too hard.

4 - Perhaps investing in a Drobo so that, thinking forward, I can have a way to save the video I take.

One additional is that I'll be working with HD and that takes up a lot of memory. It's that detail that has me thinking of investing in a Drobo.

thanks!

2. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

If your going to be dealing with a lot of HD video, I think the Drobo is probably the better option.

The latest generation Drobo has with firewire 800 which gives you a fast connection, which is needed if you want to edit straight off the drive.

The major additional benefit you'll get is the ability to keep on increasing the total storage capacity on an ongoing basis, so as HD prices drop you can keep on increasing capacity to keep pace with your needs.

The Drobo's ability backup over multiple drives is a major benefit, as i've lost too much good work when a individual drive crashed wiping out 2 days of work and costing another 2 days of time to recover most of it.

Idealy a Drobo Pro would be ideal, as it offers lot of Pro features such a dual drive failure redundancy, iSCSI, etc but which will probably bee too expensive and overkill at this stage.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Either option 3 or 4, it really iThink depends on how comfortable you feel with option 3 and how much space you really do think you need.