What kind of flying insect is this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Surely, Aug 23, 2009.

  1. Surely Guest


    Oct 27, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    These buggers have decided to invade my apartment.

    They've snuck into the space that is in between the skylight glass and the plastic coverings that mute the sunlight (the skylight is diagonal glass that is over my balcony sliding door).

    It's happened three times so far. Once last weekend, yesterday, and then today.

    Here's the progression- it's strange because it's almost like clockwork: At around 11:30 am, they start entering into the space and flying around, constantly hitting the plastic. They do this for around 30 minutes. Then, slowly, they crawl out from under the plastic into my apartment. They stay on the wall below the skylight. And then, I vacuum them up :D

    My guess is that the space seems like a good place to them at around 11:30 am, but then the sun hits it and it heats up, causes them to want to get out.

    I sprayed Raid each time- it kills them, but clearly doesn't keep them from coming back another day. Today I looked closer on the outside and noticed that there are little ventilation holes (no ventilation holes around the windows in Toronto!) every 8 inches that lead into the space, so I plugged them all up with putty. This is where they were getting in.

    So can anyone identify these little F'ers?

    Attached Files:

  2. TheVidEditor macrumors regular


    Jul 24, 2009
    The U.S. our favorite country
    Your saying these creatures are smart enoughto start planning their attacks? :eek: Maybe:apple: should put them in the new ipods! Honestly I think they're your typical bugs. But it seems to me that they are out to get you
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus


    Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I'm pretty sure those are termites. Search google for winged termites. I'm not a bug specialist but if that's what they are you might want to get rid of them more professionally... ;)
  4. Surely thread starter Guest


    Oct 27, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you, SilentPanda. You are exactly right. :cool:

    I googled flying termites, and found photos and this description:

    I have noticed wings on the plastic coverings.

    I just called the Building Manager, and he is arranging for an exterminator to come in to take care of it.

    MacRumors Forums to the rescue!
  5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    Yes they're termites. I had them in my first place in Orange County. They were said to be flies but google helped prove my case.
  6. farkasam macrumors member

    Apr 10, 2009
    New York
    you may want to look into one of those things that you plug into an outlet that emit ultrasonic frequencies that non-toxically rid the place of allbugs. one caveat is that about 5min after you plug it in they come out from their hiding places which can be kind of traumatic! plug it in and leave for the day. i believe they cost aroudn $30. good luck, i hate bugs so i feel your pain.

Share This Page