What kind of HD for my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JHNguyen, Feb 4, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Hi,
    I occasionally do light video editing on my macbook pro, and I stream videos to my xbox in another rooom. I need more space than my internal 5400 rpm 160GB HD.

I can either get an internal, or an external. I don't move my computer at all, so an external would be just fine. If it doesn't require a power outlet, even better.

So my question is.. what kind of HD should I get? eSATA, FW800, USB 2.0?
    Should I buy the HD, and enclosure seperate? Should I buy something already assembled like the WD Mybook?

I've had a few HD + enclosures that I had assembled. I liked them, except for the fact that they were a bit loud. Not sure if it was the enclosure making all the noise, or the HD.

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

If you want external, you won't be able to use an SATA connection because the Macbook Pro doesn't have a port. I would definitely get Firewire over usb for any kind of hard drive application. Since you want to video edit, I'd get a 7200rpm external drive and use Firewire 800.

I like this company a lot:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800+USB2/

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Don't get a MyBook.

If you're going to be on-the-road, get a 200GB 7200RPM 2.5" drive in a FW800 enclosure. Its not huge, but its bus-powered, so you can run your whole setup from the laptop battery if you have to.

If you're mostly desk-bound, get a 150GB Raptor 10,000RPM 3.5" drive in a FW800 enclosure for top-speed, or whatever size 7200RPM drive you want. The downside to this is that its not portable, and you need to plug in the drive to its own power source.

4. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

I've got the first MBP's that came out, and from what I've read, it doesn't have FW800. Only FW400.. (unless I'm wrong?)

Either way though, I was going to buy an expresscard, FW800 or eSATA. I thought buy the eSATA card since it's supposedly faster.

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Oops, sorry. If you're getting a card with eSATA, get that kind of drive enclosure. The company I recommended also sells drives with eSATA connections. Should be plenty fast for your needs.

6. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

eSATA is definitely your fastest option, although fw400/800 are more readily usable on Macs due to the implementation of firewire ports. Rosewill makes a pretty cheap eSATA expresscard (check newegg). For an external HD, I bought a OWC Mercury Quad-AL Pro, and I'm pretty happy with it. It has all four standards, so you can use eSATA or fw400/800.

Also, there exist cables that change the plug from a fw400 to a fw800, so if you find yourself without your expresscard, you could buy one of these to still make your drive useful from the fw400 port.