What Kind of iPhone is This?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomguyishere, Feb 15, 2012.

1. randomguyishere macrumors regular

Hello,
    I have a white iPhone 4S 16Gb Unlocked (so I thought).
    I bought this phone for $649 from someone on Craigslist. Before you guys bash me for using Craigslist, here me out: I realize my mistake in using it and have learned my lesson.

I bought it thinking I would be able to use my T-Mobile SIM card with it.
    I got home, opened the box, put my SIM in, and the phone went through the "Apple splash screen" and told me to set up the phone.

***THE PHONE GAVE A SIGNAL OF 1 (ONE) BAR, AND THAT IT WAS ON EDGE. Yet it never said "T-Mobile"***

All was going well until it told me at the end that my SIM card was not valid and to insert the SIM card from the carrier whom I bought it from. Not knowing what to do, I inserted my old AT&T SIM (currently has no service on it whatsoever) and the phone got past the set-up screens.

Clueless, I went into Settings --> General --> About and looked at the model number. It reads "MD237LL." The carrier was "AT&T 11.0." I suspected this was because I had an AT&T SIM inserted.

I then decided to take out the AT&T SIM and insert my T-Mobile. The phone went through the "Apple splash screen" once again and I ended up just like last time: One bar, edge network, but the SIM would not register.

So I once again inserted the AT&T SIM and got through to the home screen. However, this time I turned on Airplane Mode and took out the AT&T SIM. I then inserted my T-Mobile SIM and turned off airplane mode.
    Sure enough, my phone registered with T-Mobile's network. It even told me I had one new voicemail. However there were ZERO (0) signal bars. I went into Settings --> General --> About and my carrier was "Carrier 11.0." Yet the phone was connected to Edge it said. WiFi was off.
    To test this, I tried making a phone call: the call would not go through. But I tried Siri and sure enough, Siri worked.

Now I am stuck. What do I do? I've restored my phone to factory settings via iTunes. Yet this still happens.
    Please help me.
    Thanks!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Sell it and buy an unlocked phone from apple (which you should've done in the first place).
    You can't unlock the phone, so you're screwed if you keep it.

3. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

How much should I sell it for? It isn't factory unlocked obviously...

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Your phone is carrier locked to AT&T. Cannot be unlocked.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Maybe you can sucker someone on craigslist into buying it for $649.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Why would you pay that much? WTHeck. Makes no sense...!!!!!!! See if you can do a trade back...:S

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

OP was obviously trying to do it on the cheap. Which is ridiculous, because it's not that expensive--not in comparison to being cheated on craigslist.

8. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I just have to ask, why didn't you take the T-Mobile sim with you and try it out in front of the seller before buying? I'd assume if you were on T-Mobile at the time then you'd have your phone with you. I don't mean this in a bad way, I'm genuinely curious.

10. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

The phone was restored to factory settings when he showed it to me. I was dumb enough to trust him that was unlocked. Yes, I know... bad choice. :(:mad:

11. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

Gonna try reselling it...

Anyone heard of this new TP SIM?
    Apparently its suppose to unlock the iPhone 4S.
    Worth a shot if I can't sell this expensive iPod for a reasonable price I suppose.
    Any thoughts on this?

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It might be a waste of $85, but no one knows. If you want to take the risk, that's up to you. However, you'll have to be careful with updates, because it's probably limited to certain bb.
    You're better off getting an unlocked phone from apple.

13. harpyeagle macrumors regular

I don't question the fact that you are experiencing problems, but if it isn't factory unlocked, why would your model# show as MD237LL. From a quick search on this forum, it looks like this model belongs to a genuine factory unlocked 16GB White iPhone 4s.

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

That's how much iPhones cost unsubsidised. The plus side of buying the phone unsubsidised is you can use whatever plan you want, and in some cases this may work out cheaper than a 24 month contract.

15. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

That's how much the iPhone costs from APPLE.....not from a guy on craigslist

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

$649 is a LOT to pay for a used phone from Craigs List.

17. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I call BS

18. Wsnook macrumors newbie

Dont waste money on this SIM... DOES NOT WORK!!!

Also dont blame Craigslist.. there are a LOT of good sellers on craigslist. Its your problem more than craigslist list problem. You just didnt check careful enough. Good learning lesson for you I guess.

19. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

EXACTLY! This is what I thought.... But I've gotten a new sim. Still nothing....

20. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

How do you know it doesn't work? I'm trying to stay positive... That thing's like my only hope :(

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cut your losses and get a factory unlocked one.
    That's what you should have done in the first place.
    Unless you want to sit there and wait if there's an unlock for the locked one you bought and that $85 sim might not ever work or go for sale any time soon.

22. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

When you activate it with an AT&T sim, take sim out, and plug the phone into itunes, does it say it is unlocked?

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Just reading how the phone is responding to the TMO sim, it sure is different than any other locked phone I have seen. I can;t speak for 4S, because that is the only ATT locked phone I have tried this on, but with all previous models, popping the TMO sim into the phone wouldn't get you as far as you get (seeing voicemail, etc.) Are you sure it's not an issue with the sim? I assume you cut the sim yourself. Perhaps things aren't lining up properly?

24. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

I originally thought it was a SIM card issue as well. So I went to T-Mobile and picked up a brand new micro sim. Still have same results :(

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Did you cut it or did they cut it for you?