What kind of Mac should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gilbert1020, May 24, 2009.

1. gilbert1020 macrumors regular

gilbert1020

I am a High School senior and I will be starting college in the fall.
    I am considering getting a Mac but I cannot decide whether to get a
    Macbook or a Macbook Pro. While the Pro feels a bit pricey, the Macbook being a 13.3 inch screen sounds small.
    What is your opinion?
    In college I would be using it for Papers (English Major), and entertainment.

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think that you should go with a MacBook. A lot of people think they need a MacBook Pro and then end up really just wasting their money. The 13.3" screen on a MacBook will not seem small to you at all. You'll want to be able to carry your computer around everywhere you go. A MacBook will be just fine and you'll love it. :)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What specifically is "entertainment"? Games, videos, editing, etc...

Unless you plan on heaving gaming or photo/video editing, there isn't much of a reason to select a Pro, other than the screen size. So maybe you'd be most interested in a MacBook with an external monitor (a 24" Dell can be had for about $350). You could have a large screen at your desk, with the extra portability offered by a MacBook (plus you'd save a few bucks).

Remember to wait for the back to school promo. :)

4. gilbert1020 thread starter macrumors regular

gilbert1020

Mostly music, Instant Messaging, General Web surfing, watching videos on Youtube and such. I have had doubts as to whether the Macbook screen can handle it well, but I will definitely consider the external monitor. I am sure I can find a cheaper one online.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If that is all you're doing, definitely go for a macbook and a nice monitor later one with the money you save. The screen can handle all those things perfectly, since I do all those things, and a few more, so there is nothing to worry about. And plus, if things do get a bit cramped and crowded, that's what Spaces is for. Brilliant.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

7. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I would get the macbook, you can even look online in the refurb section in the apple store and maybe even save some money. It smaller you can carry it around with you.

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I have a Macbook and while it's fine for everyday tasks, after nearly 3 years, 13 inch is a little limiting.

It comes down to your budget really. If cost is an issue, I would also suggest looking at the refurb section for some cracking deals.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if its your first Mac then i would go with the MB just to get your feet wet. Then once you get familiar with the Macs u can later on upgrade to a Pro or whatever.

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I went through my first year of Uni with just a MacBook and it's small screen. It's not bad at all - I did assignments on it, watched movies on it, and played games on it with no trouble.

That said, in second year I did invest in an external display. They can be had for $150 for a 19", or $199 for a 22", and they are nice just for the additional real estate they offer.

But the 13" screen is fine on its own. I take my notebook to the library and whatnot regularly, and the screen size is never an issue. Remember: a bigger screen means it's less portable. I might not lug a 15" notebook around, but the 13" is the perfect size to take with you.

11. XLR8 macrumors regular

Last year I enrolled in a MBA program. I purchased a black MacBook that I take everywhere with me. I'm a motorcyclist so during the summer I just pop it in my luggage and hit the road. It's perfect for school and I've written a lot of nice papers on it. :D

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nothing you are doing requires anything but the most bare-bones Macbook you can find. Even one of the first-gen Macbooks or refurbs would be overkill.

13. nutritious macrumors 6502

I'd get a Mac Mini with the 22" Dell e-ips screen. Get a cheap netbook for class notes and presentations...