What kind of macpro laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fitworldmac, Dec 3, 2010.

1. fitworldmac macrumors member

Im an amateur photographer.....
    right now, my 15' macbook pro from 06 is a little slow and doesnt have a whole lot of HD space....
    Also, when doing books in aperture I wish I could see the pages BIG!!! but....not sure if I wanna go with the 17'....Im kinda scared I'll look rediculous!!

How much diff does the 8gb ram make as opposed to the 4?

Whats the difference between glossy hi def screen and anti glare screen?

finally...what makes it run fast!!! thats what I want badly...that dreaded spinning beachball is getting on my nerves!

Thanks for any and all responses in advance..

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Any of the new ones are going to seem blazing fast compared to what you have. Having recently received the 17" in my sig (work provided.. love my new job) I can say that it doesn't seem as big as it is. I do think the 15 inch with the Anti-glare high res screen is good enough, though.

But the one bottleneck that will slow things down more than others is the HDD. If you can afford to upgrade to the SSD drives (at least the 256GB if you are doing photos and you have or will have a lot) it will be lightning quick but I have the 500GB 7200 RPM drive and it is sufficient. I don't think going with the 5400 RPM drives is a good idea unless you want to extend battery life.

3. fitworldmac thread starter macrumors member

hmn...interesting....thank you for your detailed reply.

.what about the processor 2.6 vs 2.8?

also...why do you say get the ssd 256 gb? wouldnt any ssd(including the 128 gb) be lightning quick compared to the regular hard drive?

congrats on the new job by the way!

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

2.6 vs. 2.8 is similar to the "2.4 i5 to 2.53 i5" argument - it's the same processor and the .13 Ghz is not going to make much of a difference. Biggest diff will be 2.66Ghz i7 vs. 2.4 i5.

256GB is just for storage purposes, more photos, more videos you have, more space you will need. Most of the flash dries will be a definite marked improvement over the traditional hard drives.

6. fitworldmac thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thank you guys for all the reply's!!!
    One more question here..... does a 256GB SSD have the exact same memory as a traditional HD?
    The computer I have now has +/-300 GB...so 256GB on either kind of drive wont be much of an improvement....and it seems raising any kind of memory capacity on an SSD raises the price considerably.

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

256GB on an SSD provides the same storage capacity as a 256GB on a conventional Hard Drive.

An SSD would greatly help in you Photo work. I shoot with Canon 50/60d's and those RAW files are 20MB+ in size. They take forever to load into PhotoShop from a 5400rpm hard drive.

But you're right. Going above 256gb in an SSD gets pretty pricey. I'm hoping that the next MBP refresh will bring flash memory prices down a bit so that 500GB is somewhat doable. (i.e., my wife won't divorce me if I get one).