What kind of mouse and keyboard do you recommend for iPad PRO?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jamwin macrumors newbie

jamwin

I haven’t found one yet but it would be great for using a virtual windows desktop on the iPad, which means I don’t have to carry my laptop and my iPad. The iPad Pro is great for reading and annotating docs with the Apple Pencil, and with the Logitech keyboard case makes a decent laptop alternative. I use a virtual windows desktop for work and when using this on the iPad it’s a pain to use the touch screen, a mouse would be a lot easier.

2. Flute Ipad macrumors newbie

Flute Ipad

--- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    I am very interested in trying this out...will I be able to use my iPad as I usually do (gmail, browse using Explorer, use Pages) with the mouse or would I be limited to using it on the “virtual machine” paperspace.com?
    Will it work on an iPad Air 2 OS 12.1.1?

3. sno1man macrumors regular

I think we are far more likely to see a more robust file management app and somewhat more desktop environment on the iPad before we see mouse support in the OS. I was working for a developer in the early days of the iPad and Apple told us at the time that no mouse support was a way to force app developers to make their apps as touch friendly as possible.

Now with later iterations (eg. pencil support) they have backed off that a bit.
    As others have said, it is possible for a developer to add mouse support to their app, but it's on them. And based on my experience, without OS support , mice are a total PITA

4. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

I think it's great not to use a mouse. I find touch intuitive for everything I would do on an iPad.

I use a Zagg Slimbook on the bus. It basically makes the iPad a small laptop, but without a touchpad. It's a pretty great keyboard and case.

When I'm not on the bus, I use the same Magic Keyboard I use with my Mac mini.

5. Steven Brown macrumors newbie

I want to buy Logitech Slim Combo with detachable keyboard. Its looking good for iPad

6. adib macrumors regular

adib

There are Pythonista, Codea, and Swift Playgrounds.

7. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

Looks nice for sure.

I think what bothers me about kickstand devices like that is their ability to be used on a lap. I use a Zagbook, which makes my iPad Air 2 feel a lot like a mini laptop, complete with a hinge that keeps the screen at a good angle without using a kickstand. Same with some of Belkin's cases.

It's why I don't get the adoration for the Surface.

But ymmv

8. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Yes well, now export a compilled program from either of those. I don't have experience with the two first, but Swift Playgrounds is for learning, quickly trying out ideas, etc. You can't write an app or full program in Playgrounds. It is not a full IDE. It is a code editor with a live-view.

9. adib macrumors regular

adib

The first two provide runtimes that enables you to build App Store apps. Just rent a remote mac for an hour to do the packaging and upload.

10. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Alright, fair enough, but remote Mac still required. That's a pretty key issue I'd say