What kind of OS X disc is this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ckar, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Ckar, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Ckar macrumors member

I was cleaning out some stuff and I found this disk.

Is this a retail install disc for Snow Leopard?

Does that mean I can install it on any Mac computer I want?

Or is it locked to specific Mac computers?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks to be retail, gray discs were what you got with a Mac.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not locked to one Mac and you can install on any Mac you want assuming that Mac can run on this version of Snow Leopard.

5. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Note that on some Macs, once you install a higher version of OS X the system prohibits you from re-installing an older OS version. I ran into this with my son's 2008 (Unibody) MacBook. He upgraded to Mavericks, then we upgraded his RAM using faster than advised RAM. It booted and seemed to run fine and fast, but alas, he began to have app and system crashes. Before determining that the RAM was the cause we assumed it was an OS corruption and he wanted to go back to Snow Leopard. We wiped the hard drive (after backing up to an external drive) to do a clean re-install and it seemed to go well up to 75% complete. Then it stopped and reported "additional resources not available" or something like that. Took it to the Apple Store Genius Bar and they said first, it's the RAM. Second, you cannot go back to SL after having had Mavericks installed. Seemed crazy to me, but several geniuses agreed that this is the case with many modern-era Macs.