Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Only bites when he's hungry - cut me on the finger once. Now handling him is a different story... I mean it when I said his claws are razor sharp. I'm the only one who handles him, likes to sit on the top of my head.:D I often end up bleeding, because I don't trim his claws but any dog nail trimmer is very effective in keeping them manageable. When he doesn't want to play he will hide behind some crevice or under the furniture, and is never agressive toward anyone, ever. Nobody else seems to want to hold him.:confused: :D
So keep 'em well fed and they shouldn't be inclined to nip at your fingertips?

How long does it take for them to get big (2-3ft including tail)?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Iguanas make wonderful pets if you aren't freaked out my having a several foot long lizard run around in your house. If you keep them in an inside cage make sure that you have a heat lamp and a full spectrum light as well. They're going to need it. Also make sure that you put them in a big enough enclosure. A small aquarium won't hold them for very long. They will get up to six feet long when they reach full maturity.

They are kind of messy so expect to clean their cage regularly. I wouldn't recommend letting them run around the house a lot because of that and they're not quite as graceful as a cat or a dog would be and would probably cause some trouble knocking over or scratching some things up. If you do let them run around make sure you're at home and you're watching them. They do like it however so do it on a semi-regular basis. If its warm outside get a leash designed for them (can find them at pet stores) and take them for a walk, they'll like that. Avoid conflict with other animals though, a decent sized iguana can kick some arse, especially with its tail.

Keep their claws trimmed regularly. They're like bird's claws, they can get too long and sharp if they go too long without a trim. Keep in mind they're not cute and cuddly animals as well so don't expect to treat them like such. They do liked to be petted and stroked and everything but don't smother them like you would a dog or a cat. They're mostly docile and not very aggressive (unless threatened) which is probably why they make a popular pet so don't worry about them biting your finger off or anything. Just avoid playing with their tail too much and you should be fine. :D

If you do let them wander around the house watch your plants if you have any. They're strictly vegetarian and will eat them given the chance. Certain kinds can be poisonous to them (forget which ones) so probably best to make sure they don't eat any.

As far as diet goes a steady supply of vegetables will keep them satisfied. They only eat small insects when there's nothing else around. A good mostly vegetable salad with a bit of fruit will keep them happy.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah iguanas are nice pets but some males can becom snappy from time to time, no big deal tho. they can whip sooo hard with their tail,, almost cut you...lol.. no i kid but yea h it does hurt...

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Wow, thanks for the info!

If I buy an iguana, I do plan to let it run around the house a lot of the time (when I'm home) but probably not too much when it's really small. I don't need it stuck behind the refrigerator or down the bathtub drain!

How long would you say it takes them to grow to a decent size? I can't find this info anywhere.

Also, if I were to take it for a walk, the only way would be down local sidewalks. Would an iguana be able to walk along sidewalks very well or would the cement be too rough for its belly after a well?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
How long would you say it takes them to grow to a decent size? I can't find this info anywhere.

I honestly don't know. By the time I got mine he was already full grown. I had a smaller female one but she hardly grew at all in the time I had her. I think there was something wrong with um, something. Hah. At least that's what the vet mentioned when I took in another lizard of mine who had growth problems.

Also, if I were to take it for a walk, the only way would be down local sidewalks. Would an iguana be able to walk along sidewalks very well or would the cement be too rough for its belly after a well?

Sidewalks should be fine. They don't rub their belly against the ground when they walk, they keep themselves elevated enough. If its a busy sidewalk expect some interesting looks as you people pass you by. :D

One thing I forgot to mention is that they love to lounge around. They'll fall asleep under a warm light regularly. I wouldn't say they're very active animals but definitely keep them exercised. And warm.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I honestly don't know. By the time I got mine he was already full grown. I had a smaller female one but she hardly grew at all in the time I had her. I think there was something wrong with um, something. Hah. At least that's what the vet mentioned when I took in another lizard of mine who had growth problems.

I'm worried about buying a full-grown one. I think buying a "baby" iguana would help it to be more comfortable with me by the time it was big enough to do any damage to me. :D

vniow said:
One thing I forgot to mention is that they love to lounge around. They'll fall asleep under a warm light regularly. I wouldn't say they're very active animals but definitely keep them exercised. And warm.
In the videos I've seen of them, they always seem so lazy and relaxed. That's exactly what I want, something that is just like me. :)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I'm worried about buying a full-grown one. I think buying a "baby" iguana would help it to be more comfortable with me by the time it was big enough to do any damage to me. :D

It was the opposite with me actually. The younger smaller one was more frantic and hard to tame (not to mention biting me all the bloody time) but the older larger one was just a big baby for the most part. I'm more of a fan of getting them young anyway but don't fret about having an older one that wouldn't be so used to you at first.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
iguana s like most lizards will grow very diferently one from another it's all an environmental thig if they are in roomy places with ALL that they need i d would say a year and a half maybe 2 to reach foot and a half....when theyr young they love eating bugs (there if leopard is released too early ull have the best solution lol) but after they grow they are stricly vegetarians....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Get a Portuguese water dog or a Labodoodle( mix lab and poodle). They don't have fur and don't cause allergic reactions.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
It was the opposite with me actually. The younger smaller one was more frantic and hard to tame (not to mention biting me all the bloody time) but the older larger one was just a big baby for the most part. I'm more of a fan of getting them young anyway but don't fret about having an older one that wouldn't be so used to you at first.
Hm. Maybe I could just buy one that is already relatively big?

How expensive are they? Does it cost more to buy one that is grown? Where would I even go to find a big one? All the pet shops I've ever been to only had little ones.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Want to buy a Beagle? huh? huh? We've got some for sale.

They're cute.
IMG_0023.jpg

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Get a Portuguese water dog or a Labodoodle( mix lab and poodle). They don't have fur and don't cause allergic reactions.
Bald dog? I dunno...

I vote for dog or pet rock.
:D

Want to buy a Beagle? huh? huh? We've got some for sale.

They're cute.
How much?

African Grey Parrot

Highly intelligent, loyal. Beautiful animal.
Can it talk? If so, that's probably not a good idea. I say some things from time to time that should never be repeated. :eek:

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
My iguana was a foot and a half by one year, three feet by three years, now he's close to four feet at four years. They say it takes seven for him to finish growing lengthwise, but I hope he doesn't keep up this average!:eek: He eats several pounds of veggies per week already. I was also told to avoid feeding live bugs to prevent over-agressive behavior, seems to work. :)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
hahaha they r not bald they just odnt shed their skin.... don t worry thats hwta makes it funnyw hen they repeat thing they probably shouldn t

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Hm. Maybe I could just buy one that is already relatively big?

Dunno. Its one of those YMMV things.

How expensive are they? Does it cost more to buy one that is grown? Where would I even go to find a big one? All the pet shops I've ever been to only had little ones.

Expensive to buy? Not really. Given they're popular enough I don't think they're very expensive (although its been several years since I've had mine, had to give them away because I moved cross country :( ) They're relatively low maintenance as well and don't require a lot of expensive upkeep. the most expensive thing will probably be the enclosure. My dad and I custom built the one I had in my room ('twas huge) so it'll save you some $$$ do do DIY if you have to get a big enclosure for it.

Some other things to keep in mind, like many lizards they're prone to mites. Have someone at the pet shop show you around to supplies to keep them at bay. There's also some powders you can put on their food for vitamins and stuff they wouldn't otherwise get.

I highly recommend getting a book on them if you plan on getting one however, it'll cover everything I've already mentioned and some stuff I forgot.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
My iguana was a foot and a half by one year, three feet by three years, now he's close to four feet at four years. They say it takes seven for him to finish growing lengthwise, but I hope he doesn't keep up this average!:eek: He eats several pounds of veggies per week already. I was also told to avoid feeding live bugs to prevent over-agressive behavior, seems to work. :)

yes this is true, bugs are really healthy for them while they are growing up,, lots of energy and proteins for growth after they grow a lot then only vegetables are the way to go.. i have seen 2 metre long iguanas in the wild, they have chased me before,,, more than once.....

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Wow. It's getting big, fast! :)

Expensive to buy? Not really. Given they're popular enough I don't think they're very expensive (although its been several years since I've had mine, had to give them away because I moved cross country :( ) They're relatively low maintenance as well and don't require a lot of expensive upkeep. the most expensive thing will probably be the enclosure. My dad and I custom built the one I had in my room ('twas huge) so it'll save you some $$$ do do DIY if you have to get a big enclosure for it.
Dumb question: If I buy one that is big enough to roam around on it's own, do I need an enclosure?

I have enough square footage in my home so that it could wander around and not feel cramped, but I don't really have anywhere to keep a large enclosure. I could build one myself no problem, but I don't know where I'd put it during the winter months.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
what about when you are not home? i wouldn t want to just let her walk around there s lots of intriguing "holes" and ducts to check out when you are a lonely igguana in an apartment and also lot sof electric wire to chew for fun, i think while you are out the iguana should be in an enclosure big enough to chill, eat, bathe and lots of fresh water and maybe a hot plate or a lamp to warm up if it get s cold...

Jonnyfive

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
British Columbia
Get a dog. Cat's stink and so does thier litter box.

Anything else won't show you any affection back, especially lizards, they suck, you think they like you but they just want food or your warmth...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Dumb question: If I buy one that is big enough to roam around on it's own, do I need an enclosure?

Yes. Absolutely. Like I mentioned before, only let them run around when you're at home and watching them. They need a place to sleep while you're sleeping and a place to stay when you're away. They're also messy buggers so expect to clean up their piss and **** both inside and outside their enclosure regularly. They're not exactly potty-trainable.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Yes. Absolutely. Like I mentioned before, only let them run around when you're at home and watching them. They need a place to sleep while you're sleeping and a place to stay when you're away. They're also messy buggers so expect to clean up their piss and **** both inside and outside their enclosure regularly. They're not exactly potty-trainable.

very very true... should not be walking around unsupervised...

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Hm. I don't know where I would put an enclosure big enough to comfortably house a mature iguana. The only place I have available is right in the middle of the living room!

Perhaps if I rearrange my furniture, I can setup a corner or something for it. How big would the enclosure have to be?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
what about when you are not home? i wouldn t want to just let her walk around there s lots of intriguing "holes" and ducts to check out when you are a lonely igguana in an apartment and also lot sof electric wire to chew for fun, i think while you are out the iguana should be in an enclosure big enough to chill, eat, bathe and lots of fresh water and maybe a hot plate or a lamp to warm up if it get s cold...

thats how big....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.