What kind of plugin does Skype need on a MBP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iapplelove, Feb 15, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

hello all, this morning I went to use skype on my Mac (first time in years) and noticed it now needs a plugin. I'm in my Skype account obviously on safari so I know downloading it is safe, just curious though what type of plug in?

And is it something I should uninstall after I'm done using Skype, or turn it off?

Never been a fan of using plug ins on my Mac but I need Skype this weekend and want to use my USB microphone.

Thanks !

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

When Skype asks for a plugin - what does that message say? It likely tells you then exactly what you need to do - or just look in Skype help menu, or at the Microsoft web site for more information about installing and using Skype.

Have you looked at Skype for Mac support articles?

3. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

There are two ways of using Skype - the Native Client (can be downloaded from Skype.com) or using the Skype for Web Beta (using web browser and https://web.skype.com) with a plugin. The plugin can be installed if you try and make a call and it will walk you through the setup.

As the web plugin is a beta, i would personally install the client from Skype.com - gives you all features and is more likely to work than the web beta.

4. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Hey thanks for the reply. I tried just using the regular native Skype but it kept prompting me to download the plug in and use the new version.

I did go ahead and downloaded the plug in successfully but still could not make a call.

Didn't know the native version needs to be downloaded as well?

The only few times I ever needed to use Skype I used my iPad.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    Tried again this morning an still can't make a Skype voice call. A bit frustrating

5. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I am not aware of any plugin thats needed for the native client, the client is the plugin. I downloaded the image file, ran the install and just worked. Do you have a screenshot? Sounds strange that its prompting for a plugin

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

7. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Can you send a screenshot? If you have the corrects client it shouldn't be asking for a plugin

8. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Sorry , didn't get any alerts to this thread. The plug in is only needed for the newest beta version. I already deleted the plug in. Most said on a Mac it was buggy and they were right.

Next time I need Skype I'm just going to download the regular version and as you said it doesn't require a plug in, just the download itself.

9. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

That's probably why I've never seen that. I wouldn't use beta for anything your planning to rely on. Good for a bit of a preview but for services your actively using, I would avoid.

10. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks for the replies! And I agree, since I never needed Skype on my Mac I didn't even know I had to download anything. But if and when I do need it, just going to use the basic desktop version.