Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
I have a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro i5, I want to upgrade to 8gb of RAM. My only problem is what should I get?? Crucial, Kingston, Hyperx? 1.35v or 1.5v? I really don't know any advantages of any. If people could let me know some differences between the brands and types or have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could help me out with links to specific products, so I don't order something that Isn't compatible, that would really help.

In other words I am loving my first mac, I just purchased it about a week ago, and it is a much smoother and user friendly experience than any pc I have owned. I just want to juice it up a bit.

Thanks for any help you can contribute.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
I have a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro i5, I want to upgrade to 8gb of RAM. My only problem is what should I get?? Crucial, Kingston, Hyperx? 1.35v or 1.5v? I really don't know any advantages of any. If people could let me know some differences between the brands and types or have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could help me out with links to specific products, so I don't order something that Isn't compatible, that would really help.

In other words I am loving my first mac, I just purchased it about a week ago, and it is a much smoother and user friendly experience than any pc I have owned. I just want to juice it up a bit.

Thanks for any help you can contribute.
I think the Max on that MacBook is 16GB also.
The number they went off of to I.D.= DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-10600)
Late11 MacBook Pro i5

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Which RAM? Anything but Apple.

Take yer pick and save a fortune. Nuff said.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
Brand doesn't really matter. Go on newegg and read the customer reviews.

I've done that, and reviews seem to be good for most all of the brands, and they all seem to be around the same price point (~$45 - $50). I just wanted to know if there were any noticeable benefits from specific brands. Also I have never really ordered anything from newegg, do they have reasonably fast shipping? Some sites out there take 3 or 4 days just to ship your order out.

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Crucial 1.35V. Go their site and input your system details. It will return a list of tested kits that work for your 13" MBP.

Crucial might cost a bit more than cheapo "Komputerbay" Amazon junk RAM, but it's well worth the piece of mind.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
firstly if there is already a RAM in ur computer & u are planning to buy a new one than u have keep in mind both ram speed must match. there are many software to check this.

so the 1600mhz hyperX I have in my MBP won't work because it uses 1333 right??

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It's kind of like asking which HDMI cable manufacturer is the best; as long as it has good reviews and is in the right price range, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
I've added Kingston memory to a Mac mini and never had any issues. Just recently 8GB of Samsung memory from OWC to my early 11 MBP and have had no issues. Just make sure whoever you purchase it from has a decent return policy in case you have issues.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If it's the correct RAM and it's JEDEC compliant, it should work.

Just be sure it's 204-pin PC-10666 DDR3 1333MHz.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
I've also had good experiences with Crucial. I plan to buy Crucial RAM when I get my new MBP this spring after Ivy Bridge.

Skyrim

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I have used Kingston memory for years in my both laptop and desktop. They work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.