What kind of RAM to buy for my iBook 1.07 GHz PowerPC G4 for upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by c0bracommander, Mar 29, 2010.

1. c0bracommander macrumors member

As it is, this iBook has DIMM0/BUILT-IN 256 MB RAM in one memory slot, and DIMM1/J31 256 MB DDR SDRAM in the other.

My question is: how does replacing RAM in an iBook generally work? Are the slots right next to each other? If so, would I be able to upgrade each slot to 512mb for a max RAM capacity of 1gb?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The iBook you have (and I have it too) has only one free RAM slot, the first 256MB are soldered onto the board.

Get either 512MB or 1GB here and put it in the iBook and either have 768MB or 1.25GB of RAM.

I myself have 1.25GB RAM without hiccups.

See the iBook User Guide on page 55ff for instructions on how to add additional RAM.

3. c0bracommander thread starter macrumors member

Way helpful! Thanks!

The manual says you can add an airport extreme card... I thought it came with one? Or does it have a standard airport card?

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you can upgrade lol

Guide here

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I think the standard 1.07GHz 12" iBook does not come with an AirPort card, I added it as an extra when I bought mine.

Look into Applications / Utilities / System Profiler > Network > Airport or go to System Preferences > Network and see if you have an AirPort card.

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

whoops my bad, wasnt fully aware what model you had, as spinnerly's says above, your machine didnt come with airport from the factory

7. c0bracommander thread starter macrumors member

Got in it. Works well. Thanks.

Went with the 1gb.