what kind of screens do apple displays have?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by demarcopbl, Mar 14, 2010.

1. demarcopbl macrumors member

Looking to buy a new imac 21.5 inch. I decided against the 27 inch screen in favor of getting an external monitor. It seems that the only difference between the high end 21.5 model and the low end 27 inch model is the screen size, so why not spend the extra $200 on an external display and get 45 (or so) inches of screen real estate?

I went to the apple store the other day and their displays are ridiculously priced. They also seem unable to go 'portrait' without having an arm clamped to my desk. My question is, if I can find a monitor with the specs below (or close) will I effectively have a monitor of the same quality as apple produce? Any recommendations?

Technical Specifications (apple display)

Screen size: 24 inches (diagonal viewable)
    Screen type: TFT active-matrix LCD
    Resolution: 1920 by 1200 pixels
    Colors: 16.7 million
    Viewing angle: 178° horizontal; 178° vertical
    Brightness: 330 cd/m2
    Contrast ratio: 1000:1

thanks

2. trojanvillage macrumors member

I had the same thought as you long ago until I tried this set up. It seems like a great idea in theory but once you get it, it feels cluttered and cheap. Nothing will look as good next to the iMac screen, never mind the secondary displays will never be calibrated properly. If you don't want to pay for the 24" ACD, which is one of the best Apple products I ever purchased, IMHO, try the 27" iMac. I don't think you'll have a need for more space after you try it.

My $0.02.

3. demarcopbl thread starter macrumors member

trojanvillage - thanks for your reply. What did you use your setup for if you dont mind me asking? was it that the colour difference on the 2 displays was distracting? The 27 inch imac wasnt something I was into - part of my job is web development and IMO, sites look TERRIBLE on the 27 inch when the window is stretched out because nobody is buiding sites at those dimensions. I just feel like it would be a nightmare for developing/testing. That said Ill probably go the dual screen route. I need to see another external in action - see how big the difference really is, and if I should fork over the extra money for an apple display.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

To be fair, you're not going to find an LED backlit IPS panel display cheaper than Apple's. You get what you pay for.

If you're going the external display route, you need to at least get a monitor that is LED backlit, otherwise there will be a noticeable difference in brightness between the iMac screen an your external.

5. trojanvillage macrumors member

I agree with Darth. You certainly get what you pay for. I use my Mac primarily for iPhone and Mac development and currently have a MacBook Pro hooked up to the 24" ACD. I can tell you that with most of Apple's products, if you can find the exact configuration, feature for feature, it will cost more in the end. I tried a Samsung display but compared to even the MacBook Pro's screen I thought it was embarrassing. I will be selling the MBP in favour of a rev b 27" iMac and have the imac and ACD side-by-side.

I bought the ACD not only because of the technology but for the way it works with my other Apple products. It's been one of my favourite Apple purchases and you either love it or hate it. What sold me was how clean it looks and there's no visual distractions (thank you Johnny Ives). I've never really gotten into web development outside of iWeb but, for XCode, you can open multiple windows at a time and having a set up with even a 21" iMac and ACD works very nicely, just have the windows parallel.

Speaking of windows, just don't have the ones in your office behind you.