What kind of SSD inside MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by born4sky, Jan 12, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

What kind of SSD inside MacBook Pro?
    I was thinking to buy lowest hd version and upgrade it with Samsung SSD

What do you think?
    As far I understand advantage of having ssd is:
    1) faster launch
    2) better battery life

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't buy now, 25nm SSDs are just around the corner and price cuts are expected. Also, MBP should be updated within couple of months so again, waiting might be worth it.

3. alt macrumors regular

Exactly.

4. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

thank you... any more info about 25nm SSD's ?

Looks like I have to wait till summer, to get Lion for free and Updated macbook pro..

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial has already unveiled their C400 SSDs that use 25nm NANDs but they are (just like all Crucial SSDs) quite expensive. Intel SSDs should be more affordable and they should be out within couple of month.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you want speed, I would get a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro; they are providing support, including eventual TRIM support AND a firmware update that will fix the sleep issue with SandForce driven systems, all for OS X. They and SandForce are together making the update. They may very well be the only company doing this. Speed wise, the Mercury Extreme Pro and the OCZ Vertex 2 are probably the fastest of all SSDs on the market currently (including the 25nm Crucial which has a much slower write speed).

Intel is going to decrease costs, but it appears their upcoming SSDs will be much slower than SandForce driven models. It will however still be eons faster than a normal hard drive.

I love my SSD and I will never use a standard hard drive again as the primary drive. It is completely silent, more durable, able to withstand more extreme elements, 20 million times faster, and more. The huge majority of those who buy a SSD is happy they did, despite the much higher costs of SSDs over HDDs. The first SSD we used was on the original MacBook Air which we got in late January of 2008. Three years later, it is as fast as the day it was bought and has had almost no capacity diminishment. It also was dropped down a flight of concrete stairs, over a ledge and then smashed on concrete a few feet below. And the 64GB drive in that (IIRC it is a Samsung) is a dinosaur compared to newer models with far higher speeds and better wear leveling. A good SSD is an investment that will bring you years of enjoyment.

The only think you may want is to look for a SSD that can do SATA3, as eventually it will replace today's SATA2. With that said, it should be a while until that happens so it isn't critical, but worth at least some consideration.

7. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

i may be wrong, but im pretty sure the new cougar point chipsets that go along with sandy bridge have sata III

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It wouldn't surprise me but I would assume they would still support SATA2/2.6 as well as the industry isn't quite at SATA3 yet and hard drives are still really limited, but by the time Ivy Bridge comes, I feel it will at least be common on higher end systems and since SB is brand new and sports Intel's flagship CPU's, it's sensible to have it as computer guys are going to want SATA3 over 2 simply based on speed.

I know the Crucial C300 and C400 both are SATA3 capable and IIRC OCZ makes a really high end model which is geared to hardcore speed users and it is SATA3 ready as well. The new Intel will probably have the capability on at least their 'performance' and 'enterprise' SSDs. Obviously, with the updated controllers from Micron and Samsung, and the coming SandForce 2000, Intel/Micron and other high speed controllers, most will be SATA3 as the SandForce 1200 systems have already maxed SATA2 with sustained read and write speeds around 300MB/s. OCZ and OWC both have performance stats from the company, 'pro' reviewers, and users alike which all confirm the speed and capability of the SF to max SATA2.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2xSATA 6Gb/s and 4xSATA 3Gb/s in Cougar Point. SATA is backwards compatible so you can connect SATA 1.5Gb/s HD to SATA 6Gb/s port.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's awesome! I didn't realize they were backwards compatible