WHat kind of video editing software do I need for avchd footage?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Quincer5000, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Quincer5000 macrumors newbie

I wanna get the canon hf100, but i cant find a editing program that can edit this footage. i found pinnacle but my g4 and my dads dell isnt "good enough" to run the program. if anyone knows reply.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

AVCHD is very processor intensive. iMovie '08 and FCE convert AVCHD to the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC), but I believe requires an Intel processor to do so. Only FCP6 has built in AVCHD support, but again would require an Intel processor as well. Your G4 simply isn't going to be able to handle AVCHD.

3. Quincer5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so my dad has a dell, a latitude. can anything be able to edit on my dads dell?

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

If Pinnacle edits AVCHD natively (i.e. without converting it to something more processor-friendly first) then unless your Dad's Dell is at minimum a Core 2 Duo 2GHz with 4MB RAM, the answer is: probably not.

You could download the free trial of VoltaicHD (google it) which will convert the AVCHD files to .mov Quicktime files using Apple Intermediate Codec, on your G4, and see how you get on dealing with the converted files in iMovie first. But unless it's a pretty speccy G4 (i.e., not an iBook) then you'll probably find HD video too much of an ask.

But hey, great reason to get a new Mac, eh?

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP 6 transcodes AVCHD into AIC or ProRes. No Apple app currently edit's AVCHD natively.

Lethal

8. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

How exactly does Adobe Premier Pro CS3 handle this footage?

Zack