What kind of word processor do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skaertus, Aug 3, 2013.

?

What kind of word processor do you prefer?

1. Fully-featured word processors (Apple Pages, MS Word, LibreOffice Writer, Nisus Writer Pro, Mellel)

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. Word processors for structured/creative writing (Scrivener, Story Mill, Ulysses)

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Minimalist, distraction-free word processors (WriteRoom, iA Writer)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've seen lately a lot of the so-called "distraction free" word processors, which are basically some stripped-down piece of software. No features, but they do have a price. I don't see a point on them, but some people do seem to like some of them. So I decided to create this poll. What kind of word processor do you prefer?

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've used Microsoft Word for as long as I can remember. It's the best one out there IMO.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

For projects, Scrivener is hands down the best writing and editing tool. I have used it to edit a magazine for the last three years. I also write seminary curriculum using it.

But for technical writing, I require Hebrew as well as English, Greek, Latin, and German. Mellel is my tool of choice. Smooth, efficient, stable, and flawless integration of the languages.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

7. mdbilkey macrumors newbie

mdbilkey

8. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is for me. I don't export from Mellel to Pages. I do the finished work in Mellel as well.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Pages syncs in realtime across three platforms (iphone, ipad, desktop using icloud.com) for me, so Pages it is :D

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Although I've always had Office for Mac on at least one machine, I used to use Pages for most WP work.

Like many here, I'm finding the flattened simplified version disappointing...I can use Word, with all it's collective bells and whistles I guess, but I wasn't expecting the new look Pages at all.

11. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Have to say Word is the best but Pages comes very close. Switch between the two cause I cannot "live without Pages"...

12. mdbilkey macrumors newbie

mdbilkey

My issues deal with formatting table cells for text direction, carriage returns, spacing, "padding", special characters, etc. I can use any text editor to write an indented paragraph. Seems like Word is my only answer as my attempts with Pages, Mellel and others is futile.