What Kindle is kid-friendly to use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariaalony, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mariaalony macrumors newbie

mariaalony

I would like to purchase kindle for my son's birthday. Which product is suitable for kids use?:)

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Suitable in what way, as in easy enough for a kid to use, or as it, can't be used to access non-kid content?

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

How old is your kid? You've provided shockingly little information for us to base recommendations on here :p

4. mariaalony thread starter macrumors newbie

mariaalony

Yes, I need something that is easy for him to use.

----------

He's turning 3 years old this year.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I don't see any Kindle being kid friendly. eInk makes for great reading, but I doubt a kid would want to read only. They'll want color and pictures. The Kindle Fire or Fire HD would the best choices. They're fine choices *IF* you can live with the hobbled android system installed. I would, and have, pay extra for a Nexus 7 and full android.

I've got the Kindle App on it for the colored children's ebooks and Amazon's Appstore for the free app a day.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Completely agree. Go for Nexus if you want an inexpensive android tablet.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My younger cousin who's 5 came round last month and tried to use our Kindle. I downloaded a few kids books onto it, but he kept turning the pages due to the buttons being on both sides, and managed to delete 3 of my books... :rolleyes: :D

I don't see Kindles as being particularly kid-friendly. The cheapest one is probably best, but as others have said, maybe consider the new Nexus 7.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

For an adult, the N7 is absolutely the better choice.

For a 3 year old, the Fire is more limited, which means there's less chance of them accidentally purchasing something or getting around parental controls. The Fire also has Kindle Freetime which limits access to apps and sets time limits for games. If it were exclusively a kid's device, the Fire is a better "my first tablet" than a Nexus 7.

Of course, if it's shared with the parents then that is a different story.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

A three year old doesn't need a Kindle. Get him some Power Rangers action figures or something.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

None of them. They are consumption devices and are not suitable for children, especially at that age. They are littered with advertisements, especially the newer models, and every menu is practically a store. You turn it on, and it's always trying to sell you something. If you want him to have a tablet, you're better off with the iPad.

You get what you pay for.

And yes, you should buy him something else instead, like books, or even toys.