What kit to mount 5th hard-drive in Optical Drivebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benguild, Aug 19, 2009.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

3. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

4. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I'm assuming you need an adapter, does the maxupgrades kit come with one?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could also DIY one out of an old CD/DVD drive. Just disassemble it for the metal plates that make up the enclosure. One of them works quite nicely if you drill a few holes to mount the drive to it. It will obviously fit a 5.25" bay quite nicely. ;)

Rather easy, fast, and cheap. Free if you've got a drive lying around. Dead is ideal, but so is ancient that you'll never use. :p

6. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

I believe it comes with the enclosure, 2 SATA trays, and 2 SATA cables to attach to the motherboard - in this configuration, you still use the ATA connector for your SuperDrive, so I will lose out on the ability to install a SATA DVD burner (Blu-Ray) in the future.

I'm not concerned about that - it's much more important to me to have 6 internal drive bays. I'll post pics soon.

JP

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

A word of warning to those who are going to use one or two of the ODD-SATA ports in MacPro1,1 (2006/2007). There is no space there between the fan box and the logic board for a conventional SATA cable. For a single cable you can use a 90° conector. If you are going to use two ports you should make a little cut out in the injection molded fan box above them. That is what I did. I used a metal saw to make the two parallel incisions and a strong carpet knife to make the perpendicular cut. I did not have a Dremel, but that would have been the best tool for that job. The material is probably ABS so expect its melting point around 200 °C if you plan to cut it with a heated tool. Do not over heat it too much.

If you use a standard connector and squeeze it between the fan box and the logic board there is the risk of bending the logic board and breaking an internal connection. Remember logic boards are 650$ a pop.

8. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know. Luckily I only need to mount a 5th drive! I will order a 90-degree connector as well.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Heat

You also got to remember that the more you put into the computer, the more heat you will have in there...

10. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Abso-posi-tively a non issue.
    Didnt notice any difference in internal temps after instalment.

11. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Attached Files: