What language should I learn 1st

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jchesser, May 17, 2010.

1. jchesser macrumors newbie

I want to learn Objective C and I don't have any programming in my background so I was wondering what I should start out with? C or C++, I have narrowed it down to these 2 languages because I heard that C# was nothing like objective c, and if i learned it i would be lost while trying to understand objective c. Any book reccommendations would be swell as well as classes or lectures in or around Louisville or Lexington Kentucky. Thanks! Speed is not important.

Thanks ahead of time for answers!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use forum search. This question gets asked multiple times weekly. For example this thread in which Steve Kochan explains that you can start off in Objective-C, and he even wrote a book on that premise.

3. firewood macrumors 604

Javascript or Python (or Basic or Scheme or SmallTalk/Squeak). Not C or Objective C

Find a book on programming computers designed for education (K-12), not a book for CS majors. ...unless you are well above average at mathematical logic and the like.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

This kind of question gets asked almost weekly.

If your aim is Objective-C (it isn't Objective C, or objective c, or objective-c, etc) then C is your introduction language. Forget C#, C++, or the scripting languages.

5. firewood macrumors 604

C was not designed as a teaching language. But if you like doing things the hard way...

6. xStep macrumors 68000

But how many languages are designed as a teaching language?

Sure C isn't the best starting point, but the OP has chosen it as 1 of 2.

7. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

My 2 cents:

I'have recently started to learn C as an introduction for Objective-C. My background in computer languages is mainly Perl for text processing and learning C really feels going backward afer a high-level language such as Perl. I'm glad i'm doing it though, because this way I am learning some fundamentals on pointers and memory allocation for example that I could reuse for Objective-C and I keep all the Object-Oriented stuff for later.

I would recommend C for somebody with no programming background, at the condition that she/he is motivated, has a good attention span and is OK to wait a few weeks before playing with Interface Builder. I used the "Learn C on the Mac" from Dave Mark and I read it from first chapter to the last and done the exercises and I really enjoyed it.