What lead you to the iMac path?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Sep 28, 2013.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

What made you go for the iMac and not the MacBook Pro with Retina? I'm mean, both are powerful, have great GPU and will get the job done.

I use the iPad for almost everything, and Macbook has small SSD/HDD, can't use as a entertainment center. Almost never leave my home to any place where I need CPU Power and development software. I plan on buying a new Macbook Pro in a couple of years though.

What about you?

2. in4fun macrumors regular

that's easy :D

- if you are a designer with no office of your own you need a macbook pro to impress your clients when you visit them at their business

- if you are a designer with an office of your own you need an iMac to impress your clients when they visit you in your office

3. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

I hate batteries, specially on demanding tasks, for long hours work, like HD post-production.
    iMac has better performace that MBP (better CPU, GPU and I have no need for retina display, rather bigger one), which I consider to be expensive in comparison.

4. Titus macrumors member

I have neck issues and prefer large screens and less bending down.

5. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

Well put Titus, I forgot!
    This reason might be more important than the others altogether, for a painless life.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I prefer having a lot of screen real-estate (I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display connected to my 27" iMac) and I don't need a portable computer (my iPad is sufficient).

7. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

The fact that now even with the Mac Pro I'll need an external optical drive and external hard drives. May as well have a computer with a built in screen if those things are going to be external either way.

8. Soccer5se macrumors member

Soccer5se

It was too hard to choose so I got both. My only regret is that I jumped the gun a little on the iMac and bought it in June. I knew the update was coming but I've used it a ton since the summer so I'm ok with it.

9. blanka macrumors 68000

Or the best of both:
    I use a large monitor with good ergonimics (Eizo) and a Mini. It still allows me to work on location with my settings/programs/files on a very powerful machine, and I have great desktop.

10. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

I do all my computing at a desk so i went with the imac to save space etc and i have a tablet for on the go surfing .

11. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

I had an offer through work to purchase a 27" iMac and it would be charged from my salary pre-tax so after careful consideration I went for it. I was in desperate need for a new computer but was very tired of using PC so I figured I'll try something different this time.

12. mrmarts, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

I got a iMac for:

a) The all in one and sturdy design

b) Monolithic screen which makes the screen almost bazeless, much like my Sony HX850 TV.

c) less wires and clutter

d) OSX robust design since i owned macs i hardly ever experience freezing, however not much can be said about Windows PC's till this day.

e) No malware or bloatware

f) Software is becoming widely available on Macs compared to 5 years ago

g) Easy to setup right out of the box and easy to use.

h) I am stuck on Apple's ecosystem i.e purchased iTunes content.

i) It is Mac that says it all

13. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

The MBPs were underpowered at the time I got my iMac (January 2011). Back then, the base MBP had 2.4GHz Core2Duo whereas the base iMac (which I eventually got) had 3.06GHz i3

14. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Other Macs with peripherals were way out of my budget. And I wound up liking the all-in-one enough to stick through a couple of lemons in 14 years of using this type of Mac.

15. Serban Suspended

i love to have them both..an 21.5" imac late 2012+macbook air 13" late 2012 but i alreeady ordered an 27" iMac haswell+the next 15"rMBP haswell update

16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

have always had macbook pros, and macbook airs. Always wanted a desktop computer with a large screen. Looking at an apple thunderbolt display at $1,000, I just figured it was more of a value to me to buy the iMac.

27" iMac + iPad mini + 11" Air for when I need to be able to do real work on the go. Most of the time the mini works just fine and the iMac gets used at home.

17. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I have a 27" Imac ( it's my third now ) and a rMBP 13" as well as a heavy duty Mac Pro 5.1 Hex, which acts as a media server, and is bootcamped for gaming. I've alway's had a Macbook as well as a desktop, and used to cart a 17" cMBP around. The new Retina models really are fantastic tools, and I use mine for editing music in Logic X as well as photo work.

Having a portable just makes sense as an addition when you need to have the ability to be mobile, and the power to do fairly heavy duty tasks.

18. mrmarts macrumors 65816

You had three Imacs lmao do you change them every year?

19. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I try to sell them with as much AC remaining as I can, so yes, about every year to eighteen months is the norm...This one is going to have to las a little longer as I'm saving up for my wedding next year, but I maxed it out///3.4GHZ I7 2GB 680M GPU and 32GB RAM so it should last me..the new ones look tempting though...especially that 45GB GPU option...Now that we have the MP though, it makes more sense to slap in a hefty graphics board for gaming, and not spend the money on a new Imac just yet. The MP has a baby 5770 in it at the moment, so although it will play most games okay..my Imac kicks it into next week in X-Plane whichis the only real "Game" I play. My fiancee is the hard core gamer, but the Pro runs most of her games okay if you turn down the settings a little. Next stop will be a pre-flashed 4GB card for it. Then it will leave the Imac way behind..:)

20. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I am getting the late 2013 model with the 3.5ghz i7 processor, 16gb of ram, 4gb Nvidia Card and 3tb fusion, I will be tempted to sell only if they introduce a retina display apart from that, i can live with whatever they put out over the next few years. As for my 2012 retina macbook well its still doing fine will hang onto for as much as I can.