What lenses should/can I get for this Canon?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by russelldirect, May 3, 2011.

1. russelldirect macrumors member

I recently acquired this from a friend for $150, and was wondering if there are any lenses you all would recommend for a beginner photographer.

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

It really depends on what you want to do.

Did your friend include the kit lens for this camera? I assume he didn't based on the price you paid for it. You'll probably want to start off with one of the all in one wide to tele zooms. You can get a 28-135 lens with stabilization used for $265 from KEH.com. I've bought from them many time and they generally rate their stuff conservatively and prices are very good.

As far as what you can use, any EF or EF/S lens will work with that body. If you think you might want to do landscapes, then choose a zoom that's weighted on the wide side (ie lower first number in the pair). If you think you might want to do nature stuff or sports, then go for a higher number in the pair. You can probably get a lot of mileage out of a generalist lens like that 28-135.

Good luck and have fun!

3. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

It actually did come with a 28-90 lens.

Thanks for the broad overview of how the numbers work. That gives a really good starting point!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My recommendation is to get to know your camera and the settings and the type of stuff you want to shoot before investing in lenses.

5. xMClass macrumors 6502

I agree with the above poster, learn how to use what you've got right now and eventually you'll know what you like to photograph most then you can pick your lens from there.

6. tinman0 macrumors regular

Depends on your budget to be honest. Personally speaking (and also a few friends) the 28-90 you have is not a good partner.

If you are low on funds look up on ebay for the original kit lens, maybe even the updated version, so look for the 18-55 Canon lens. The updated II version is meant to be very good - and it will cost nothing (as lenses go).

People overlook the kit lens too much in my opinion.

However, in this case, you'll find it'll be much easier to use as it is __so__ much wider.

If you do have money to spare, then look up something like the Tokina 11-16mm to scratch the ultra wide angle itch. Got one a year ago and it's my "weapon of choice" for nearly everything I do.

Another thing with the original Rebel, is shoot in RAW if you can. It'll take a nice big CF card so get one off Ebay. It'll only count to 999 images, but don't worry about that.

With RAW you will eat the memory card ;)

However, the reason I mention RAW is that the original Rebel (300D) in jpeg can be a bit hit and miss with exposure. If you shoot in RAW on that body you should get a better dynamic range.

It's worth comparing the two images, RAW vs JPEG L.

If you are downloading to a Mac (eg iPhoto), iPhoto will deal with all the technical mumbo jumbo of RAW.

7. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

what tinman0 says

the 18-55 IS kit lens is cheap, can take very sharp pictures, a great lens.

8. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Stick with what you have for now and get to know the camera, get comfortable with it. You may find you really don't like it and want to try something else, so why risk putting money into it before you are sure you are going to keep it? Once you like it, know how to use it comfortably, then start looking around for new lenses, a flash, a bag etc. I would suggest buying used as you can get some great deals however if warranty is important to you then buy new. What lenses you purchase next depends entirely on what kind of photography you do.

9. wpotere Guest

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

I have the exact same Camera. A good lens to get is the Canon 75-300mm lens. It's not to heavy for the body or user and you can get some pretty good shots.

I've just started looking at Astro-photography and can clearly get the Orion Nebula with the 300. Not overly accurate but it is still clearly visible.

11. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, learn the camera first, and then move on to getting new lenses. If you decide that you do want a telephoto, I would go straight to the 55-250 IS. I started out with a old 80-200 that I bought relatively cheap locally. It just acted as an appetizer for the telephoto range. It was great to be able to get those first few bites, but left me wanting more. I then moved to the 55-250 after selling the 80-200 and I haven't looked back since. It is extremely sharp for it's price and the stabilization is great.

You can find one of the EF-s 55-250 IS for around $180. The EF 75-300 will run around $100. The extra $80 is well worth it.

12. gameface macrumors 6502

Take pictures with the supplied lens for a few months. Look through them when you want to upgrade and see what focal lengths you are shooting in more often for your type of photography. If you are shooting towards the wider end, upgrade to a better wide angle zoom or prime. The opposite is true if you tend to shoot toward the longer end of the lens.