What level of OCD do you possess about the iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phamduc.minhanh, Sep 23, 2011.

?

What would you do if you accidentally scratched or dented your precious iPhone?

1. I would go to Apple and make up stories about how my iPhone malfunctioned to get it replaced.

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. I would sell it to Apple or someone else, and buy a new one.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. I would buy a case or screen protectors to cover the scratches up.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. I would give it to my family members or friends.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. I would keep it and buy another one.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  6. I would not care. I would get an Android or a Blackberry phone.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. As if I would care. Scratches or dents would appear anyway.

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  8. I would moan, and cry, moan, and cry. After few days, I would not think about it anymore.

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  9. I do not know.

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Others.

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. phamduc.minhanh macrumors newbie

phamduc.minhanh

Greetings,

I just want to share with you folks about my story of having OCD about my iPhones, which can be expandable to other Apple products, but for the purpose of this iPhone forum, I will mention about iPhones.

I have used all four generations of iPhone. However, for the first three, I did not use them with care. I just threw them around, never applied screen protectors and never used a single case. That was my typical teenager's laissez-faire attitude.

However, since the first time I owned an iPhone 4, my mind has changed. I seem to be extremely obsessed with my handset, maybe because I have become an adult or because the phone somehow looks more beautiful and professional than the previous models, so I would have probably wanted to keep it in a good shape.

There is nothing wrong having OCD about a device, especially when it is expensive and of premium quality, however I think that I have moved a step further. Since last year, I have owned three iPhone 4. My first one was well taken cared of until I hurled it with anger at the wall; I was having issues with my relationship back then. After calming down, I picked up the phone, and fortunately the screen did not shatter. However, there is a scratch in the bottom corner of the plastic frame of the phone. I decided to take it into an Apple Store, sell it back to them for a very cheap price, and buy another fresh new one. The second one lasted undamaged until I accidentally dropped it on the concrete sidewalk. Well, you can guess the next part of the story.

This is my third iPhone 4. There are many minor scratches and one small dent around the phone. However, I am trying not to be obsessed with the phone, because in my mind, I know that iPhone 5 is coming soon, thus, there is no point in buying a new iPhone 4 again.

Despite going to Apple Store every fortnight or month, to buy a new case and re-apply screen protectors, I am still a tad careless with my device sometimes. This is maybe a huge problem coupled with my OCD because I just want to visit Apple Stores again and again.

That is my story. Please feel free to share yours here. If you think you cannot tell your mates about your OCD because they will yell straight at your face that you are mad, it would be a great delight if you share with us here. Nevertheless, remember to put your real but not made-up stories.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If OCD means you keep damaging your phone, you're pretty OCD.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I don't care. The phone will show signs of use and personally I see that as a good thing. It means I used the device to it's full potential and got my moneys worth and more out of it. I see people all the time obsessing about their phones and buying enough cases and screen protectors to equal the cost of the phone on contract. It's just sad.

And of course I'm not reckless with it. I don't drop it and don't horse play with it. Just using it like it was meant to be used with no 'protection' at all.

5. phamduc.minhanh thread starter macrumors newbie

phamduc.minhanh

Greetings,

I agree with you on this. Probably since I joined this forum, I have managed to realise my problems, by reading threads about OCD.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

So being careless and angry around your phone makes you OCD? That would mean all rock stars must have the same condition as you when they smash their electric guitars during a rock concert.

I am not as OCD as I once was. But I was OCD when I was a preteen. It came from baseball/basketball colllecting because "mint" cards were important. Even having the picture of the card being centered was important. I would even be OCD about CD jewel cases too. If you are a hobbyist of sports cards or anything you want to collect, I can see why OCD can creep in.

I am not too OCD with my possessions now being that everything gets replaced someday. My OCD only deals with having the same number of apps in my last six folders and from time to time after I clean the screen, I wouldn't want to use it for a day and use my laptop. I also never have a fourth row because I like to swipe it easier and don't want to accidently open an app. I also never have more than a second page and every app is alphabetized. But it can from my obsessive persona when I am in neat freak mode. But ironically, I can have a sloppy room and dirty car. I never dropped my iPhone 4 and have been fortunate to not get too careless with it at all. I may have pulled it once when it was still attached to the USB cord, but that is about it. It is practically flawless since it has a case, I put it a holster, and clean the screen bi-weekly.

If I scratched or dented, I probably would be sad for a day or two and then just forget about it. Deal with the love scars. :D Will still use it. It is not like we are going to be buried with these things. As long as the phone is fully functional, I am content. The key is actually using it and not just looking at it all day.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I keep a screen & back protector on my iPhone4, but do not use a case. Normally that's enough, but I pulled a bonehead move a couple months ago and managed to drop it onto concrete from about 6' up. Shattered front glass, naturally. I sent it in to iResq and had it repaired, good as new.

I selected "Other" in the poll, because there is no "I am not a psychopath, so I did not lie or blame someone else for my problem, and I paid to have it repaired" option.

8. Agent-P, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I take good care of my phones and other electronic devices, but I don't obsess over them. However I am very "OCD" when it comes to organisation. All my stuff must be kept organised according to my system (even if it doesn't make sense to others). I will use the example of my iPhone: My first home page consists of only four icons (two folders and two apps). The two folders must be placed at the right and left ends of the row. The middle two are the single apps. My dock consists of Mail, Phone, Messages, and Safari (in that order that way the blue icons are on the edge with the green ones in the middle. There is only one other home page and it only consists of folders (no other apps are allowed to remain separate). The apps are arranged according to categories that I chose. These folders on the second home screen are placed in alphabetical order with the apps within each folder also in alphabetical order. Unnecessary? Probably. But that's just the way I work. Same setup for my iPad. In fact, even the way I organise my stuff on my desk must remain in that spot and perfectly aligned. Take from this what you will, but I will continue to do this :cool:

EDIT: added screenshots to help visualise this better. My wallpaper is always being changed, but the icon layout remains like this.

Attached Files:

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is a great poll that made me laugh. It brought up memories of Apple obsessed perfectionists. And I'm not being critical just having fun since I'm not one to experience OCD, or the other extreme which is to abuse my tech gear.

I simply use a suitable degree of caution and common sense. My iPhone is scratch free & without a screen protecter since I dislike them. I simply use mine & enjoy it.

I'll leave the obsessing to others :)

10. ahbdesign macrumors member

People keep questioning me why I don't use a cover for my phone. And my reply to that is 'I don't like covers'. Simply because I love the look of the i4 and covers make it heavier and usually doesn't slide in the pocket easily either.

That being said, I have dropped my iPhone 3G on concrete, and I wrecked it by trying to fix the screen myself. I've even dropped my iPhone 4 a couple of times, resulting in ugly scratches on the metal frame around it. Luckily, i had issues with my home button, so i got a replacement phone under warranty which was scratchless! :)

I've seen people put covers on all their apple products and take care of it like babies, but I guess I'm the kind to let things be as they are. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but i think from what i've seen, 3 out of 4 people have covers on their iPhones.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Woohoo! Another naked person haha. I hate cases too even screen protectors. I buy them to put it on for the first week and just end up taking it off later anyway.

12. ahbdesign macrumors member

The most I've had a cover on was for 2 weeks, which was a very very slim bumper. And then I got sick of it, so removed it. I've tried a lot of cases, but their lifespan has been limited to a few days at most. :p

13. dwaynewilliams macrumors member

dwaynewilliams

I definitely have some issues with this. I have a small ding about the size of a pin head on the top left corner if my iPhone 5. The slim case that I have on the phone doesn't cover it. So I can see it everyday. It bothers me and I try to come up with creative ways as to how I can rectify this situation. I dislike this about myself. I have found that it only happens with my iPhone. I have an iPad that has scratches all over the back and it doesn't bother me. I just want to be able to get over it.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

People really need to stop using OCD incorrectly on here. Also, 19 dbags in the poll, what a surprise....

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The only OCD thing I do is to keep the phone in its own pocket, no keys, no coins, no sunglasses.

----------

When u kids get a real job, buy a convertible, leave it parked with the top-down and walk away. I tell you, the feeling of freedom and devil-may-care, will make you wonder why u spent so much timer on a phone.