Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
Original poster
May 16, 2023
So I bought a Minisopuru iMac USB dock for my iMac M1, with the main aim of having an external SSD for backups. It's ok, not amazing; there's an issue with trying to use an SD card and a USB 3 device at the same time (it will only recognise the first device plugged in), but apart from that it's ok. It was not much more than an M.2 SSD enclosure anyway. So I'm now looking for a decent M.2 SSD for it, probably 2Tb. I'm not after superfast 'gaming' performance or anything mad, but obvs not too slow. I know nothing about NVME stuff, other than it's quicker than SATA. So it's more about what SSD would be the best bet, as it seems there are myriad types out there. I'd like something from a recognisable brand, nothing obscure with no sales back up. Budget around £100-120 or so, but will go higher if necessary. The stated data transfer speed is 10Gbps. So I'm not expecting TB3 speeds, but something that will do the job and not cost the earth. UK based.

Thanks.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
The speed of an SSD is affected by how much free space there is on the drive. Which is why larger capacity SSDs are faster than smaller capacity SSDs. As the drive fills up, the slower it becomes. Having ample free space reduces the timeframe under which that inevitability will occur.

In a nutshell, 2TBs is probably the minimum size you will want to get. Ideally 4TBs. In today's market, a 1TB is considered low end, 2TB mid-range, and 4TB+ high end pricewise. Prices come down as the capacities increase... 1TB SSDs used to cost what 4TB drives cost today when they first were introduced.

From your device documentation, the dock supports (listing this for people to offer possible specific brands et al):
  • 【Support M.2 SSD】: The multi-functional iMac 24 inch 2021 USB C docking station support a high speed SSD (Not Included) to expand the storage of the iMac to meet the different needs of the iMac storage. The docking station support M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD 16Gbps interface, compatible with M.2 NVMe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD 6Gbps. SSD is easy to install, and the iMac 24 external solid state enclosure adapter support 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SSD.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
Original poster
May 16, 2023
The speed of an SSD is affected by how much free space there is on the drive. Which is why larger capacity SSDs are faster than smaller capacity SSDs. As the drive fills up, the slower it becomes. Having ample free space reduces the timeframe under which that inevitability will occur.

In a nutshell, 2TBs is probably the minimum size you will want to get. Ideally 4TBs. In today's market, a 1TB is considered low end, 2TB mid-range, and 4TB+ high end pricewise. Prices come down as the capacities increase... 1TB SSDs used to cost what 4TB drives cost today when they first were introduced.

From your device documentation, the dock supports (listing this for people to offer possible specific brands et al):
  • 【Support M.2 SSD】: The multi-functional iMac 24 inch 2021 USB C docking station support a high speed SSD (Not Included) to expand the storage of the iMac to meet the different needs of the iMac storage. The docking station support M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD 16Gbps interface, compatible with M.2 NVMe SSD or M.2 SATA SSD 6Gbps. SSD is easy to install, and the iMac 24 external solid state enclosure adapter support 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SSD.
Thanks. I know all of this; what I’m after is advice on what to actually buy. Because even within one brand, there will be multiple options at each storage level. I just need help steering me towards something that will work well without being overkill or inadequate, and without spending more than I need to.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
SSD's are close to being a commodity item for most usages. I'd get a Team MP34 2TB, which will work well at a good price.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just about any nvme blade is going to be "fast enough" for a USB3.1 gen2 dock like that.
You don't have to spend more for "speed", it would actually be a waste of money.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
I have a Minisopuru dock for my M1 mini.
I get better speeds from its NVMe SSD when it is plugged into a Thunderbolt dock, and it is almost certain that the dock’s power will sort out the SD Card/USB-C port incompatibility.
I’ve used cheaper WD and Kioxia SSDs with no problems.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The M2 Macs may not suffer from the M1's poor USC-C port performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
The comment above mentioning 16 Gbps means it supports PCIE gen 3 speeds, so something like a Samsung 970 EVO, a WD Black SN750. Any reasonable shopping site will mention which PCIE gen each drive is.

edit: Note, you can put an gen 4 drive into your enclosure, and it will operate at gen 3 speeds.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
Original poster
May 16, 2023
Thanks all. Ordered a Samsung 990 Pro unit. Seems to be one of the highest rated SSDs of this type. It'll do the job, but was a little more than I initially wanted to spend. Hey ho.

I have a Minisopuru dock for my M1 mini.
I get better speeds from its NVMe SSD when it is plugged into a Thunderbolt dock, and it is almost certain that the dock’s power will sort out the SD Card/USB-C port incompatibility.
Yep; this worked perfectly. Top tip, thanks!

The M2 Macs may not suffer from the M1's poor USC-C port performance.
I don't think it's the iMac; everything else works fine via USB-C. I had a Saetechi USB hub thing, that allowed simultaneous use of a micro SD, standard SD and 3 USB sticks. My MagSafe charger worked fine when plugged into the new USB dock via USB-C, in spite of the specs suggesting this wasn't possible. So. I'm happy enough anyway; I only have one other TB3 device so the other TB port was effectively idle.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Thanks all. Ordered a Samsung 990 Pro unit. Seems to be one of the highest rated SSDs of this type. It'll do the job, but was a little more than I initially wanted to spend.

If you can return it, I would; it's a waste of money. You can't get more than PCIe 3.0 speeds out of the Minisopuru dock. I suggested one good PCIe 3.0 drive, and if you prefer better known brand names, the Samsung 970 EVO / EVO Plus would be a good choice.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
Original poster
May 16, 2023
If you can return it, I would; it's a waste of money. You can't get more than PCIe 3.0 speeds out of the Minisopuru dock
It's fine. As I said in my OP; I don't need blazing fast speeds out of it. It was inexpensive, it's neat, and it will do what I want it to.

I suggested one good PCIe 3.0 drive, and if you prefer better known brand names, the Samsung 970 EVO / EVO Plus would be a good choice.
Again; I've already ordered something. Seemed to be the best in terms of performance/price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.