What mac for a music server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark88, Jul 11, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I need to replace my Windows HTPC with a Mac. The problem is I need a PCI slot as I have a rather nice high end audio card I need to use.

Do I have any options other than a Powermac G4 / G5 / Intel?

Or are there any mods that can be made to other macs that will get me where I want. My current HTPC is in a nice desktop Silverstone HTPC case and it would be nice if the mac could look as nice.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

powermacs or a mac pro are your only choices if you want PCI slots

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Intel mini is a great HTPC and it has built-in digital optical audio outputs so you probably wouldn't even need a fancy sound card.

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

PCI slots are probably a moot point unless the sound card works with a Mac, which is unlikely.

5. Gandhi macrumors regular

I would recommend buying a refurb Mac mini - and upping the HDD to whatever max you can afford.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

7. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Most high end cards do work on the Mac - they tend to be geared towards audio recording, an area in which the Mac is big. Depending on what you want to use it for - and you haven't said specifically - I'd pick up a cheap used G4 powermac. they're still pretty swift, look quite nice and have those all important PCI slots. Plus they should be able to handle leopard.

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You're better off using an external sound interface.

Internal interfaces pick up interference off the other computer components (the hard drive being one of the main sources).

I think your best bet though would simply be to connect a decent DAC to the Mini's digital output, which I believe is optical.