What mac for normal use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MAComania, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MAComania macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i browsed a little on the apple page and i am still not sure which mac makes sense for what i do.
    The mac mini looks tempting since it is so small, but if i add some additional hardware to it, i am easily around $900.
    Now does an imac make more sense.
    Or, if i like to be around a $1000 dollars, can i go with a used mac and if, what should i look for.
    Its so hard to make a decision since the mac should last for a while.
    I am not doing really that much. Mainly web and perhaps some video decoding. So nothing really demanding.
    Can someone help me?;)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might want to check the refurb store for an iMac
    Sounds like it might be right up your alley :)

3. MAComania thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, haven't even thought about that.. good tip. Altough they do not have mini's right now. :(
    But i assume a imac will be better than a mini.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

Just keep checking back on the refurb store. They add more to it basically every day. I've seen the current base iMac on there for $999 quite a few times.

Actually there's one on there right now, if that's what you're looking for.

5. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

Welcome to the Forum!

An iMac is hard to beat for all-around computing. It's got everything you want right there including decent built-in speakers, a keyboard, mouse, everything all set to go.

While the Mini is a very decent performer, most if not all iMacs will out-perform it.

Reasons you might want to consider a Mini:

1- If you already have a monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse you like or prefer a non-Apple monitor (such as matte finish screens).

2- If you prefer to buy a piece at a time so as to spread the cost out over a longer period of time.

3- If you have a dislike of all-in-one computers for some reason.

So far as buying used, you won't save very much money and you're taking a gamble. This option is better if the seller is near enough for a demonstration and pick up.
    Refurb at the Apple Store is a better bet.

Have Fun,
    Good Luck and Happy Mac Hunting,
    Keri

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

you might want to avoid refurbed minis, before this last refresh the mini's hardware was really bad.

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I don't know what you mean by avoiding refurb Mac Mini's. I would recommend them.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

They are only selling the "better" minis with the 9400M video at the store now.

The good deal ones come around rarely and are gone in minutes -- thats the $429 2.0 and $499 2.26.

$900 would get you into a brand new Macbook, $1000 into a brand new iMac.

http://www.macconnection.com/

if you are near a microcenter, $800 will get you into a brand new Macbook

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321997

You can easily add a second larger screen to a Macbook and have the best of both worlds -- portable and desktop.

9. MAComania thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what i have checked at the mac store looks good.
    They do also come with warranty, which is nice.
    And they do have at least 4GB memory.

My main question now go around the following.
    Is a 21" good enough or is a 24" better. I habe right now 19" (none mac).
    Also it says Nvidia M9400. Doesn't tell me a lot. If its good also for some games, i am fine with that.
    Everything else is ok.

Can i expect that an imac lasts, or in other words, do they brake at some point? Perhaps i don't have to worry. My current pc (linux) runs very well and never had any issues regarding hardware.
    Should be the same with the imac i assume.

Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it.

10. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I just bought the cheapest 24" ($1199 CDN, $1099 US). It's not super fast at 2.66 but it had the biggest HD (640GB) in that price range which is the main thing I need (i.e. room for photos and movies).

I think 16:10 screens are wide enough so I prefer the 24" over the new 16:9 models. And the price was right at $600 off of the original price ($200 for refurb and $400 for being previous gen.)

If you are interested you should check at least twice a day. They usually sell out within a few hours.

Greg

11. chipandtoast macrumors member

Remember many games come out later for mac if at all. From what I understand you can download a program called bootcamp that lets you run windows and games that weren't made for macs. Some people tell me games run on better on a normal p.c. vs mac I have no personal experience with that though.

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

What country or state are you in George?

You arent ready to start buying yet.

I thought you had a $1000 limit? There are no 24" iMacs for $1000.

Do you now have a higher spending budget?

You are checking the wrong specs. Memory (RAM) is irrelevant. Even if it came with 1 gig Installing more memory on any iMac takes 2 seconds. And its cheap.

24" iMacs are last generation: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

13. opera57 macrumors 6502

Most likely an iMac, good all round performance. The fact they are an all in one system adds to convenience and less hassle with wires etc, and not to mention that they are faster than the mac mini (depending on model). All in all though, it depends on budget as a mac mini may be better for you if you already have and want to keep your current keyboard, mouse, screen, speakers etc and of course depends on your usage.. [​IMG]

14. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Go with the iMac if you are looking to add extra RAM of a larger hard drive. The iMac suits just about any user.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple: