What mac have I got? got a free mac without ram

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by blacksunmanta, Aug 5, 2010.

1. blacksunmanta macrumors newbie

I recently got a free machine. But it came without any ram. Im presuming I cant boot it without or I could answer the question myself. Ive got the code from the bottom (model no: a1177 emc no: 2023) But this leads me to 3 choices. 2.0, 2.3 or 2.5. Inside is a sticker that warns to unplug it if any liquid is leaking from it. I dont want to waste cash on the wrong ram.

Does this mean its a 2.5 dp. Or am I way off track.

Cheers for any help in advance.

2. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

This should help a lot!!! And yes as GyroFX says below if you have the 2.0, 2.3, or 2.5 model then get the PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM 240-pin DIMMs. The machine wil only support 2GB per stick of RAM for a total of 16GB.

3. GyroFX macrumors 6502

yep, follow the guide and get the PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM 240-pin DIMMs

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yes. Somebody gave you Quad for free :)
    See is there any leak from LCS before buying RAM for it.

5. GyroFX macrumors 6502

true, better make sure the reason why you got a free machine. It's like a salvaged car with the parts sold with a dead engine, maybe...

6. blacksunmanta thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't have hoped so. It was in storage at work for a while. Not because it was dead but just because it was surplus. No leaks as I can see. Dry and dusty inside. But not too dusty. No marks on the case or anything. I got 2 free 17 inch monitors for it as well and a g4 cube. The plastic surround type with the old style connectors. Someone has just nicked the ram for one of the others.

7. GyroFX macrumors 6502

hopefully you've scored yourself a decent machine then. Sounds like all you need are some ram and boot it up to see what your free machine really is :D

8. blacksunmanta thread starter macrumors newbie

Crucial comes up with a different ram for a quad and for a plain 2.5

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D4372DC1A5CA7304

Is this the right one?

One is 3200 (2.5) and the other is 5300 (2.5 quad)

Sorry to be a pain in the @rse.

I know there is a dual core dual processor which some refer to as the quad and some as a dual. Just cant afford to waste the cash.

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

10. blacksunmanta thread starter macrumors newbie

Linked sticks? not sure what you mean

Does that mean the 5300 type ram or the 3200?

Just confirming its right for the machine.

Sorry for all the silly questions, but we all have to learn and you guys are being a great help.

Cheers

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Those 5300 :)

In general: DDR PC3200 for DP (AGP) G5, DDR2 4200-5300 non ECC or ECC for G5 DC (PCI-Express).

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just because it has that warning label doesn't make it a Quad :p. They put that label on all the dual-core models. My air-cooled 2.3 had it lol. Guess it was just cheaper to print that on all the bottom plates then to make 2 batches with and without them :confused:.

Take the side door off, lift the lever on the back to open the side panel. You will see the label on the bottom that will tell you all the stock specs. Relay that info here.

Here's to hoping you scored yourself a great machine.

13. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

^^ x1

All the models from that era have the warning sticker. My 2.3 DC has it.

If the sticker has been removed or scuffed up open up the processor cover. Or you could just look and see if there is a heatsink, or a sort of filter like radiator thing. Heatsink means it's not liquid cooled, filter like radiator thing is liquid cooled.

14. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Weird, I am almost sure, that 2.0 and 2.3 I had were without this sticker inside. But it could be my memory failing ;)
    Or maybe it's difference between US and european version? US version Quicksilver that I bought few years ago also had sticker which I've never seen on european versions.

Anyway, always check gray label with serial no - it's right way to know what you have :)

If it's not Quad but 2.0 or 2.3 it still has its "added value" - it was free :)

15. blacksunmanta thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone got an image of where the sticker is located? Having issues finding it. I also need one of the powercables for the rear, the type with the transformer. Any good places for those?

It came as a bare machine.

16. blacksunmanta thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that. Exactly what i needed. Turns out its a 2.0 dual. Still not bad for a free one.

I got 2 old style mac g4 flatscreens with it. Could you guys tell me what monitor adapter i need as well. They are the apple adc type connection powered from the machine.

The back of the machine is as well but the connection is narrower.

Is it a straight adc to dvi one piece adaptor or is it the powered type adc to dvi. Or is there an adc1 to adc2.

They fit straight in the G4 cube I got at the time if that helps to distinguish them.

17. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

You need powered one. DVI->ADC (not ADC->DVI). this. It's not best "bang for buck" as you see. IMO not worth for 17" ASD - but for 23 HD ACD it would make sense.

18. drewdle macrumors regular

You scored a free G5 tower, two monitors, AND A CUBE? *gasp* Where do you work and is there anything left? :D