What Mac is for me? Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jboyd710, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jboyd710 macrumors member

First and foremost I am a very indecisive person and it frustrates me. That being said I am in the market for a computer and have several ones in front of me and would really appreciate your alls help!! I would be using the computer as a home computer, basic tasks such as email, web browsing, Netflix, word processor, however I am getting into home recording and would like to be able to run pro tools and logic. Right now my choices are: Mac mini(2.3 i7, 4GB, 1tb) for $685, rMBP 15"(2.4 i7, 8GB, 256ssd) for $1599, or cMBP 13" or 15" either one! I would think the Mac mini would be the way to go, since I can add an ssd and 16 GBs of ram myself, but a laptop that could be on the go is useful. Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks for all your help,

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

rMBP, but wait for the update. Allow me to justify.

rMBP update will have PCIe Flash; quick as a 'flash'. Heh heh ...

tumbleweed

... but yes, as I was saying. PCIe Flash in the next update. Screen quality on the rMBP is amazing as well. You're going to get a quad core processor and it's good for being on the move. Yes, the Mac mini is more upgradeable but the rMBP also comes with a dedicated GPU rather than the built-in stuff on the Mac Mini. Can't speculate whether Apple decide to shove a GPU into the next Mac Mini but even so, I'd still go for the rMBP.

Also: Thunderbolt. Yes, rMBP has two. And an HDMI. Definitely good for expansion. Just make sure that if you get the rMBP, put in as much RAM as you can afford, first and foremost. An extra .1 GHz won't make any noticeable difference compared to RAM. Oooh, and get as much storage space as you can afford as well.

TL;DR: wait for the updates, see what Apple have cooked up in their new product line, then decide. But I'd already have my heart set on a rMBP if I were you. :D

3. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

You first have to decide whether you want a laptop or not, and whether you will actually use it as a laptop (instead of plugging it into a monitor and never taking it on the road.) . That's only a decision you can make.

For a desktop, the Mini you mentioned is fine, but I would bump the RAM up to 16GB. You'll need a monitor as well remember.

As far as the MBPs are concerned, go to a store and check out the retina and non-retina ones, and see which you would prefer (taking price into consideration of course...)

4. jboyd710 thread starter macrumors member

Rumors I have read is that apple is thinking of dropping the dedicated GPU in exchange for the iris 5200 graphics that comes with haswell. I like two thunderbolts, but I have nothing that uses them, even though I will probably make that jump with thunderbolt 2 coming out soon

----------

I have a 23 inch IPS that I love, mini and monitor are also small enough to move, If the mini had two thunderbolts I believe I would be instantly sold. I know I can pick up the belkin Thunderbolt dock, which I might anyway. I would be buying an SSD with the mini, so I could install it myself. 16 GBs would come pretty quick as a purchase too. I thought about maybe a mini and new macbook air???

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Any model Mac would do what you need. Your choice is really completely subjective. Certainly a MacBook model if you determine you want portability (dragging a mini and display around can be done, but isn't much fun). Hopefully you live close to an Apple store where you can try them out.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Whatever you want dude. I just gave my two cents as you wanted people's opinions, because you were having problems deciding. I said rMBP, others will have their own opinions. Ultimately it's an Apple product so you'll be getting quality across the board.

Best of luck with your choice.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Well, lets break it down for you:

If you find the idea of an "on-the-go" laptop enticing, definitely consider laptop over a desktop.

Since you want to do editing, its likely the 15" is the most logical choice for viewing comfort.

And since you have a wide cost range in what you are considering, definitely go with the most laptop you can comfortably afford.

That gets you to the 15" rMBP. Although I assume the price you quoted is used, as a new 15" rMBP goes for much more than $1599. If the rMBP does turn out to be too expensive for your budget that leaves us with...

The winner is, the 15" cMBP with editing tools and a Time Capsule for easy tether-free around-the house backup.

You are welcome. [insert mic drop here]

8. COrocket macrumors 6502

Would you ever need to record music on the go? You could buy a mini for home and an Air for the road for not a whole lot more than a rMBP.