What Mac Operating Systems do you use?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrsir2009, Apr 16, 2011.

?

What Mac Operating systems do you use?

1. Snow Leopard

104 vote(s)
    90.4%
  2. Leopard

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Older version of Mac OSX

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. OS9 or below

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

2. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

I'd like to suggest you subdivide the Snow Leopard category into two categories; <=10.6.5 and >10.6.5. Read that as SL less than 10.6.6 and 10.6.6 and beyond. The reason is that there are people (like me) who don't want to go near apple's (cr)app store and having it crammed down our throats so won't update beyond 10.6.5.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

10.6.6 & 10.6.7 (two different systems).

Mac App store is something I dip into on occasion, but generally I just ignore it, and it leaves me alone.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I use 10.6.7, and my wife's PowerBook is running Leopard (10.5.8). I would have voted, but there's no way to vote multiple operating systems (even though the thread title implies that you want all of them;)).

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I have Mac OS 9.2, 10.2.8 & 10.4.10 on my iMac G3 and Mac OS 10.6.7 on my MacBook Pro, along with Windows 7 :).

6. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Of course you do realize you can ignore the App Store, right? As I have, you could also just drag it off the dock, and it is gone. I mean, I can still get to it from spotlight or the :apple: menu, but it doesn't really get in the way.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There's always one.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why not a check box poll for them will more than one Mac?

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

10. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

How do you edit the poll? When I edit my first post then hit "go advanced" I still can't edit the poll :eek:

11. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

On my everyday late 2009 iMac I use Snow Leopard, but my old iMac G4 runs Tiger. To be honest, I could live with either.

12. xyzzy-xyzzy macrumors member

Actually no. Yes I can ignore it but as best as I understand it it wouldn't ignore me! I believe it uses spotlight to scan your system to send info back to apple about what app store stuff needs updating. But I have not as yet seen any documented definitive information as to precisely what information about what's on your machine is being send back to apple. Yes, I'm paranoid. But that's the way I feel.

Of course I could always disable spotlight I suppose or put app store stuff on a spotlight enabled volume. I haven't ruled that out but I do use spotlight sometimes and there would be some inconvenience with this approach.

Huh?

13. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

If you're the paranoid type you should be much more concerned about the security updates that you've failed to apply rather than whatever data Apple may or may not be harvesting.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yes to all (I've got several Macs spanning the years)

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have System 6, system 7, OS9 on various classic macs, but most of all I have 10.6 on my main mac.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Snow Leopard on my desktop and laptop. I have 10.2 I think on an old iMac G3 I took that my work was throwing away.

And I have XP/7 install on my laptops as VM and Ubuntu/XP/7 on my desktop. They aren't Mac OSes, but hey, I use them for work from times to time.

17. funwithamar macrumors regular

it wont get in ur way if u dont wont to be using it.

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

No need for any of that. Just get Little Snitch and block any Apple IP addresses. Then you can proceed with your system updates and security updates. (and delete the App Store icon from your dock).

Given what you've said, I'm surprised you don't already have Little Snitch or some other network monitoring application.

Did you know TextEdit regularly contacts Apple when you open it? Yes, really :cool:

19. G-Force macrumors 6502a

On my iBook G4 10.4.11 Tiger, in my opinion Apple's best OS ever.

On my 27" iMac 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

20. iLucas macrumors 6502

OS 9.2 and 10.3 on my iBook G3 then Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.8 on other various machines except for my MacBook which has SL 10.6.7

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

My understanding was that the App Store App didn't check for updates until you opened up the App store. I hadn't really thought about what it used to check for updates, so Spotlight makes sense. But I don't hit the App store very often, but when I do I get a sense that my HDD is being scanned when I do - - I've assumed that's when it checks for updates, etc. Therefore, don't visit the store, don't get scanned.

That I didn't know. I wonder why?

:)

22. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use 10.6.7 on every machine but my G4 Mini which is running the very newest 10.5 (10.5.9?).

I can't believe somebody didn't like the app store. That's my favorite thing on my iPad and iPhone and I was only too happy to see it come to OS X. The only thing I don't like is every app goes straight to the dock. Shouldn't I get to make that decision myself rather than clutter up my dock with stuff I can get just as quickly in Spotlight?

As for those concerned about Apple seeing their data, I suggest you consider products from Google (the world's largest advertising company and the maker of the only browser that doesn't offer "do not track".)

One reason I like the app store is it make sit easier to find freeware and lower priced software. Apple had a very nice software list on apple.com which they took down when the OS X app store came along. While I liked that list, I think the OS X app store is almost as good and will eventually become better.

I agree that the poll should have allowed multiple choices, especially when the thread title is "What operating systemS do you use". But going back and editing a poll in Vbulletin is problematic. If you decide you can't live with the single choice version, perhaps you can get a mod to help you with the poll. Another option is to edit the thread title to "What operating system do you use."

BTW, I use little snitch and have left all the apple addresses open. It doesn't bother me that much, really. I'm more worried about stuff going out to places I've never heard of before.

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

Good Post! Just as an other point of view, I like that the apps go straight to the dock. I like being reminded that I have new apps that I need to try out, and to integrate into my workflow. The visual reminder helps. Once I've used the app for a couple of days I will usually drag it off the dock. If I find it really useful I'll tuck an alias into my "really useful" apps folder on my desktop - for apps that aren't quite "necessary" enough to be added to the dock full-time, but useful enough that I want quick access to them. I know I could use Spotlight, but that would mean remembering the name!

cheers

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

App Store is optional. :rolleyes: