What mac program does this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrono1081, Mar 22, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I travel a ton and I always have all my software with me on a drive in iso format so if I need a re-install I can do it. Its in iso cause theres no way Im traveling with disks of photoshop, painter, lightroom, etc. This was always windows.

Now that I just bought a mac I have to re-buy these programs in mac version which I dont mind because I want to leave windows behind, however what mac program do I use to put all my software into iso's?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

you could probably use disk utility or toast or a cm=ombo of them both, ill let someone else chime in though as i dont do it personally but the pirates seem to use normal dmg disk images i think which disk utility would do fine.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Why would you need to take disks to reinstall? I've been using Mac since 1986 and never needed to reinstall programs while traveling. After you install on your Mac, get an external Firewire or USB portable drive and backup your internal drive using Superduper or Time Machine. Then if you have a problem while traveling you can restore the internal disk from the portable backup.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

When I travel im usually gone for a very long time so I always take a backup of all my programs in case I need to do a reinstall. I know I probably wont run into this on a mac like I did a windows machine but Its always better safe then sorry.

6. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Most Mac programs ship with a disk image (DMG) file. Even if you purchased this on CD/DVD, it will most likely contain that DMG file.

I actually do save my DMG files for purchased software. I back them up (alongside my regular SuperDuper backups) to an external drive. For your purposes, you can simply burn DMG files to a CD/DVD.

I'd recommend signing up to MacUpdate or VersionTracker to maintain versions and make sure you have the latest version for your licenses.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

A much simpler solution: buy a 2.5" USB external hard drive. Use CCC to make a bootable clone. Put the external in your pocket/backpack/case/etc, and go on with life. Every now and then, update the clone. This way, if your drive fries, all you have to do to boot up again is to plug in your external and get back to work. Alternatively, if something goes wrong on your internal drive (but it's still usable), you simply boot your external and copy it over to your internal.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If you go about using your Mac in the same way you used your Windows machine, then you're gonna run into problems. In your switch to Mac, you shouldn't ask "how do I do the same FUNCTION on Mac that I used to do on Windows," instead you should ask your self "how do I do this TASK on Mac that I used to do on Windows?"

In other words, instead of asking yourself "how do I make ISOs of my application installer disk like I used to do in Windows," instead you should ask yourself "how do I make sure that I can get my programs running again in case of disaster when using a Mac?"

Now as it turns out ISOs are one reasonable way to do it on Mac as well, but there may be better options such as creating a bootable disk backup as suggested above, or other methods.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

BTW...

No need to repurchase Photoshop. Adobe will let you do a platform transfer of your existing license. That's what I did. Since I had the latest version it only cost me $15 for the price of shipping new media. The Lightroom disk already has an installer for mac that will work with the license you used for Windows.

10. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't order new software last night. I almost did and I figured Id wait till payday. I had no clue you could transfer the licenses! Thats awesome :)