What mac should I buy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ntbasilio, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ntbasilio macrumors newbie

ntbasilio

Hello all!!

This is my first post... and as you can see i'm from portugal, so sorry for my bad english!!!!

I would like you guys to give me some advice on what laptop should i buy, a macbook or a macbook pro???

I will use the laptop mostly for personal use, but sometimes i will havo to do some work on it too (windows only). It will be my first mac computer.

Thank you all for the help!:D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You won't likely need the horsepower of the MBP over the MB
    Both will run Windows XP or Vista under BootCamp and/or Fusion/Parallels

I would suggest the MB, but updates are *due* out soon (so they say)
    Use the money you save from the MBP to upgrade your RAM (3rd party not Apple)

Enjoy!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

With what you mentioned, the MB will be fine.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Welcome to MacRumors! (And your English is fine, so don't worry!)

Really, it all depends on what you mean by personal use.

You'll likely be fine with the MacBook if you mean web browsing and emails, watching movies, and word processing.

If you want to play games, do a lot of video or intense graphic work, and otherwise run some resource-hungry programs, you should consider the MBP.

Give us an idea of your plans for this computer, and we'll point you in the right direction.

5. ntbasilio thread starter macrumors newbie

ntbasilio

Thank you all for the answers!!

I will use cad software and some specific structures engineer software. That's why i will use windows on bootcamp.

The personal use that i intend to give is for web browsing, mail, word processor, some excel spreadsheets, maybe some video editing, etc.

I hope that this information can help you to help me better!

Thank you all!:D

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the world of Mac and welcome to the forum. Your English is absolutely fine, by the way.

Whichever of the two you end up buying, you'll enjoy it hugely. As you do not appear to be in a huge hurry, I'd suggest that you wait until the planned updates are released. Re the two machines themselves, both are excellent and the MB is probably quite sufficient for your needs as you state them at the moment. However, the MBP has a superb screen, and is a more powerful computer, so if you plan to do a lot of video work, or gaming, I'd seriously consider the MBP. Good luck and cheers.

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Answer honestly to the question: "Which one you like most, and really want?"

Both will work fine, but if you truly desire the MBP because of its look, and end up buying the MB, you'll never be truly satisfied and happy. You'll always wonder what it would have been like to own the MBP.

I bought a MB, because it was what I wanted. I did not want to spend too much on my first Mac ever. I have been very happy and never missed a MBP. The smaller screen does not bother me since I use it connected to an LCD monitor most of the time.

Some prefer to pay for the look of the MBP. Nothing wrong with that. It's a matter of taste and preferences, and...budget.

Very often, when I hear someone asking this question, he/she, deep inside, wants a MBP. If it was not the case, he/she would not have even asked this question :D

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

9. Dudeman486 macrumors member

The macbook will be fine for your needs. It has more horsepower than you think. and for your needs, it sounds as though you don't require extreme performance from the cpu. bear in mind however, that the higher end macbook has the same horsepower as the baseline macbook pro CPU-wise.

--but again, i'm only here to advise. the choice is indeed yours, and if you really want a macbook pro, then by all means get it. there are enough extras to keep you happy (hello backlit keyboard!)--

And if you like the shiny silver of the macbook pro, there are rumors that the macbook may upgrade to an aluminum enclosure. if not the aluminum, they will definitely upgrade, so if you can wait a month or two for your purchase, by all means, do so.

one more thing. get the base ram and upgrade it through a 3rd party supplier. it will save you at least $100, if not more. congrats on your new mac (to be)!

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

The only reason I personally (meaning me only, not anyone else) would buy a MBP is for the GPU. The screen (size, resolution, and what not) on the MB is fine for me, I don't run any processor intensive programs and even my 4GB RAM is excessive for my uses (unless I'm using parallels which I don't use that often). I would like to play Devil May Cry 4 on my MB but that doesn't justify paying $1000 more for a new computer, and as far as the air is involved I'd much rather deal with an extra 2 lbs for $1000 less than deal with an under powered machine (I do realize there is a place for it amongst consumers, but it's not for me).

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Aaaaa so true :( (Looks at my sig)