What mac should i get?

themasonlb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
i want to be able to run slightly high powerful games and enough power for all the apps and the best for the buck. What should i go with and how much ram and harddrive space

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
themasonlb1 said:
i want to be able to run slightly high powerful games and enough power for all the apps and the best for the buck. What should i go with and how much ram and harddrive space
How about a budget? Running Windows? Any other uses? Do you want to be able to upgrade easily?

themasonlb1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
i want to be able to run windows and surf without any lag. Im looking for under 12-1300 if i can. And i want pretty easy ram installation
Also, can i hook in an external display?
thanks

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
themasonlb1 said:
i want to be able to run windows and surf without any lag. Im looking for under 12-1300 if i can. And i want pretty easy ram installation
17" iMac

Go with the 20" iMac if you can spring for the extra cash.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
I also agree that a 17" iMac would be fine for you.

If you are a serious gamer, then I would definitely consider upgrading the graphics card and upgrading to 2GB Ram which will put you over your budget.

If you are on a budget and want to hook up your display, then you may also want to check out a nicely upgraded Mac Mini. You will not get as fast or good of a processor (2.0 Core 2 Duo on iMac vs. 1.83 Core Duo on Mini) but it should suit your needs within your budget.

On the Apple store page is a "Talk to Us" button to open up a chat window with a rep. You can call them too. THey are really helpful and don't push upgrades. I had three of them tell me I didn't need the faster processor or graphics card on an iMac.

However, the lower power you have now, the sooner you will be throwing the thing away to get a new one.