What mac should I get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quicksilver8907, May 15, 2007.

1. quicksilver8907 macrumors newbie

I will be graduating high school this year and going to community college for 2 years. After that I will be going to Film School. At both colleges, they use macs with Final Cut Pro. So, I wanted to get a head start with the mac interface and Final Cut Pro. Here is my dillema. I have 3 options. First, I can buy a low end mac, like a Powermac g4 500mhz single processor, for about 300 dollars. Second, I could save up for a little bit longer and get a mac dual processor g4 for about 550. Lastly, I can save up quite awhile and get a macbook pro. My theory was to start on a low end mac like a g4 and work my way up, but I don't want to waste money for obsolete paperweights. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

2. 66217 Guest

I believe the MacBook Pro would be your best option. It would last you a lot of time.

Not quite sure how video/processor intensive Final Cut is, but check that before deciding.

And having a laptop for college is always good.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Get a low end Mac. Then upgrade.
    The G4 towers are probably the most upgradable Macs ever made. You can get a Dual 1.8 GHz daughter card (CPU upgrade) for about $300, stuff it with RAM, add a better optical drive, and even SATA cards, as your needs increase. Get used to the OS and the interface, and go on from there.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get the MacBook Pro. Portability would be nice for you since you said college. Upgrade the ram if you feel like you need to.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It all depends on your budget, but you'll definitely want a laptop for college, even at community college.

If you can afford the Macbook Pro, then you should get a Macbook Pro.

However, I'd recommend you wait until they get upgraded to the Santa Rosa platform (which should happen by mid summer), because you will be able to get more than the current 3GB ram limit. The SR MBP will probably be able to support up to 8GB, which will be great if you're editing HD video once you get further into film school.

If you can't afford the MBP, I'd recommend the Macbook. You won't be able to run Final Cut Studio 2 on it, but you will be able to run Final Cut Express perfectly. The interface is exactly the same, so you'll be able to learn using it.

Don't waste your money on an old dinosaur computer. You'll just end up frustrated with it, and it's pretty much a waste of money.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Well, it doesn't look like you can afford the Pro right now, so wait for the update and work towards it :).

IT will last you MUCH longer and the portability at school is always handy.

7. ModestINK macrumors member

ModestINK

The best choice

Get macbook pro its a long wait but its 100% the best choice for film school its portable realiable and its processor is amazing for movie making
    Get a MBP.

8. gaelan macrumors regular

that's what i'd do. sounds like the school will have macs with the software for you to use. spend your time at their computer lab working. see if you enjoy the work before shelling out >$2K for high tech gear. by the time you save up there will be something shinier to spend your money on anyways.

9. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

Get a macbook or a used macbookpro, than update when you go to film school. The G4 is just too old.

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Save your money then decide on what you will need. If you get a MBP, are you going to be doing most/all of your work on it and not on the lab macs?

My only real advice is to take advantage of the computers at the college. The school has the computer/software for you to use (thats why one pays a lab fee). Use any and all open lab time that you get.

11. quicksilver8907 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys I need a quick response to this.
    I have a guy that is willing to sell me a dual processor g4 867mhz with 768mb of ram and an 80 gb hard drive. He is selling it to me for $300 is that a good deal? Should I do it?

12. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

No. Do not get such an outdated machine as that G4. I'm assuming this is on eBay or the like?

Get what most are posting to get, that being a MacBook (Pro). IMO there's no need to "work your way up". Mac OS X is Mac OS X. Running it on a G4 or below won't be any different than running it on an Intel Mac such as the MacBook Pro or MacBook. Don't waste your money on that G4. Save up for an MBP or MB. You won't regret it. If you must get a desktop Mac, then get the iMac (not the one with the GMA 950 shared video). Or if you can afford it get a Mac Pro. Again, DO NOT get that G4.

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Do you really think the SR in a MBP will support up to 8GB of ram? I doubt that. It "might" support up to 4GB of ram, 800mhz FSB and be bumped to 2.4Ghz. Apart from extended battery life and the possibility (unconfirmed rumour) an LED screen may be added on the next MBP review I don't see SR making that much of a difference.

A lot of people here were expecting big things with the MacBook updates only to be disappointed with their misconception of rumour verses what's likely to be.