What mac should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by izzodude, Aug 25, 2009.

1. izzodude macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    im going away to boarding prep school and wanted to buy a new mac for school my price range is 0-1600$. i need something with at leat a 2.6ghz processor and a graphics card that supports dx10/dx9 games in boot camp, the two i were looking at were a refurb imac http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB419LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    and a refurb macbook pro http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC026LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw
    i currently own a white mac book 13.3 inch 2.4 ghz 2gb of ram and 160gb hdd
    but am looking to upgrade this year or next.
    i will mainly be using this computer for heavy gaming in boot camp (ie. fallout, crisis, x-plane, cod, ect.), school work (iwork 09), maybe a little cinema 4d, and some moderate video editing in final cut express/imovie 09, then alot of itunes videos/music (like 70gbs), and web surfing, and photoshop. please tell me weather you think i should get a new mac book pro or new 24 inch imac based on my sitchuation, Cheers!:apple:

2. chan2004 macrumors regular

Both imac and mac are good

Question is do you want portability or a big screen?

If you plan to play windows games, go for a notebook.
    All the other uses can be dealt with MB.
    I didn't have a good experience with playing games in my mac, maybe I need an MBP.

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

you already have a macbook so I would get the iMac, unless you really need to have all your games with you where ever you go

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

go with the imac as you have the portability in your macbook [​IMG]

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get PC because for 1500$ you get much faster PC than fastest iMac is. Just choose right parts and install Vanilla version of OS X and you'll have both, superb gaming machine and OS X