What mac system is on par with this PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by silbeej, Nov 5, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i've got a PC, and i'm looking to build another one, or get a mac desktop to match it. I am totally against the all in ones, so even tho the imac is a great system, i personally like to upgrade/change/add things to my system. So what mac, G5, MP gen 1 or MP gen 2 would be equal to or better than this:

AMD X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Dual core
    Nvidia 7800gt
    2GB Ram
    10,000RPM Raptor
    Its the system in my sig. I'm looking to upgrade, so i guess a good deal better than this isn't bad, but i'm trying to save money so i'm looking at an eBay special here.

Advise would be nice.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why make a comparison? I'm here before the users complain that you can't run OS X on that computer while you can on a Mac.

Why are you looking for a hardware comparison then? Just upgrade what you have.

3. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. I know i can't run OS X on this, thats why i'm considering getting a Mac Desktop to go with my laptop.
    2. I'm not upgrading my PC cuz it's old enough where they don't make socket 939 CPU's anymore so it's not worth trying to revive it.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you want a computer you can upgrade just get another PC tower. You already have a laptop.

5. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you blame me for enjoying the OS X operating system? Also i'm against leaving a portable machine running all the time and not having it reach 75 degrees Celsius while watching YouTube, let alone HD video or any editing. Thats mostly why i want a desktop.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You could build a custom PC with those same specs..only a little better, and have Mac components in it, and run OS-X.

I'm wondering if you get a legit copy of OS-X and build a custom PC..and run the OS-X disk..will it work? or do you have to have a bootleg copy?

by legit copy and building a custom PC, I mean, building it so it can run OS-X

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's your budget then?

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Any of the current models would beat that model -- quad core rocks!

If you want to go back to the previous generation, you'd probably still be looking at an upgrade to what you've got.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, clearly from your description you want a Mac Pro, don't even consider a G5 because there's no point in investing in a computer so old and so quickly unsupported by Apple and new products, not to mention that on a G5 you can't run Windows.

Now, for a Mac Pro, pretty much any machine you get can be set up to be equal to those specs... except the HD speed, but you can upgrade that yourself.

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Build a hackintosh, or get a low end Mac Pro.

11. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried hackintosh...Epic Fail, literally. I would get to 5 minutes remaining and it would just say Install Failed.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Well then a Mac Pro is really your only option (like others have said - don't go with a G5). Even a low end version would be a killer system compared to what you have now, but at a price.

The bane of a great many Mac users - nothing in the midrange other than the iMac. :(

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

What motherboard are you using?

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

God know why people are recommending a Mac Pro.

Get an iMac. Its a huge upgrade on what you have already and comes with a nice screen. Be happy.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They want to be able to upgrade their system though.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Mac Pro. Enough with the troubleshooting the motherboard of his Hackintosh, iMac recommendations.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

hackintosh or imac.

Mac Pros are a horrible deal simply because nobody who doesnt render things constantly needs that much processing power.

If you buy the right hardware then a hackintosh couldnt be easier to make, buy the wrong hardware and you end up with a pain in the ass.

19. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The 7800GT is a pretty damn good card, still.

The only thing in the current line up that can beat it is the 8800GT in the Mac Pro... unless I'm forgetting a card.