What Mac to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jazper, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Hey, so my budget is £1000, either I get:

Mac Mini, Dual-Core 2.5Ghz, i5, 120gb SSD with 8gb RAM (Will buy separate 500gb HD) (£675) or
    Macbook Pro 13" Dual-Core 2.4Ghz, i5, 2012 (non-retina) (£1000) or
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.0Ghz Quad-Core October 2011 (£1000)

Now which one would be worth getting, I play a few games - Diablo 3.

I run photoshop often, so need something fairly powerful, I'm completely on the fence here so any suggestions would be great.

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Gosh that's tough! Personally, since you are running photoshop and stuff, I'd go with either the Mac Mini or the 15" MacBook Pro. I have a 13" MacBook Air which runs photoshop like a champ, but I often wish for more screen. 13 inches isn't really enough, unless you need super portability.

That said, are you going to take it with you anywhere? Again, myself, I don't take my MBA anywhere since its my baby, and since I don't, it's being a laptop doesn't really help me any. My next Mac will be an iMac, so I can have the bigger screen. So yeah, with a MacBook Pro you could carry it with you and game and draw on anywhere, but with the mac mini you get to pick what screen you have.

That's my thought without knowing more of how you plan to use it. Best of luck to you!

3. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a window laptop, as well as an old iMac - I really love being able to move my laptop around, that said I'm still very stuck.

I'll probably go for the new 13" Macbook Pro - it's cheaper, I just found it for £816.00, and the graphics, which aren't great, should be fine.

If anybody thinks differently please say.

4. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Ok, the new MBP looks like a great machine, and that is a good price too.

Hmm, I guess you could get the best of both worlds and get a nice monitor to go with it; I have had nothing but good experiences with Samsung TV's, their monitors should be good as well.

5. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Oh yeah! Then I'd go for it, if not for the USB 3.0 alone...

Sorry I wasn't actually much help ⊙_⊙