what mac would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjespo22, Jan 8, 2008.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Right now i have an ibook with 1gb of ram and 40gb hard drive. Its just cutting it. The hard drive is WAY too small and even when i try to do some little photo editing its way too slow. Im always bringing it everywhere with me though. Should i go for a mbp or a imac? If i get a macbook pro, i could hook it up to my 23in samsung LCD and also bring it with me everywhere. Or i can get an iMac and use it as a desktop and clean out my ibook and just use it for portable stuff. Withought my music on it and all the other stuff, it will prob work better with editing since it will have more room avalible and not as much stuff going on. I really want a nice fast desktop and plus i can store all my photos right on it since its got a bigger hard drive. and its 300 cheaper. 24" screen i would upgrade it to 2gb of ram.. I also have a 100gb hard drive for my ibook i just have to get it installed

2. itsaka macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Since you already have a laptop, I would go for an iMac to do any heavy lifting in terms of photo editing and storage. You'll still have the iBook for portability and light on-the-go work.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would either get a Macbook or an iMac. The MacBooks will be a lot of faster then your current iBook and it will be great when you hook it up to an external screen.

4. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

well if i was to go with a laptop i would DEFF go with a mbp especially cuz it has an actual video card and a bigger screen

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would go with the MBP. Since you are already used to carrying a laptop, it makes sense to get another one.

6. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Mpb

I think i'd go MBP. As you've got a screen already, you can hook it up to that when you come home, and then unhook it and take everything with you during the day.

I think it would be better to have everything on the one computer, than to have to switch between two depending on what you were doing.

7. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

idk tho, i really want a nice solid desktop to store all my stuff on. the new mac pro is a beast! lol . how do you thing the apple cinema displays compare to a samsung lcd?

thanks
    espo

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

But you're not using anything that's video intensive, so that shouldn't really matter. The new integrated graphics in the mbs are more than enough for most tasks. And if you have a LCD at home, then it doesn't really matter if your laptop screen is 13'' or 15''.
    I think a macbook is cheaper, more portable and perfect for your needs. And its user-replaceable hd means you can get up to 320gb of storage easily. With the $700 you saved by getting mb, you could upgrade your hd to 320gb, your ram to 4gb and still have over $400 left to get whatever you want (if you get your upgrades from a 3rd party retailer). The processor speed is the same between the mb and the baseline mbp, but by going this route you get twice the ram and more than twice the storage.
    If you want, you can even sell your samsung LCD and use the sale money plus the money you saved from getting a mb to get an ACD.

9. velocitajano macrumors newbie

I would recommend the macbook pro+LCD. I take my comp to most of my classes at my University and I have a 24" Samsung LCD that I absolutely love.
    Just close my macbook pro when I get back from classes and pretend I have an iMac too haha.
    With an extra keyboard and mouse it really does make it feel like I've got a desktop back at home waiting for me.
    good luck on the decisions
    Ark I
    Selassie I
    RasTafarI

10. Ark I macrumors newbie

velocitajano,

Who are you?

I wanted to make sure that people who know I, know that I didn't post that message you just posted, and that we are not the same person.

Ark I

Itinual Praises unto Jah RasTafarI Haile Selassie I Menen I

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Get an Imac, keep the Ibook. The Ibook will still be great for some portable "couch" surfing or on the go.