What Macbook Air shall I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by onkzzz, Nov 2, 2014.

1. onkzzz macrumors member

I only have 3 choices:

1: MBA i7, 4GB, 128GB
    2: MBA i5, 8GB, 128GB
    3: MBA i5, 4GB, 256GB

Which one should I get?
    I need performance but I don't know if the more RAM is better over a slightly faster CPU.
    I will be using a TON of software. I'm really debating about 1 and 2, forget about 3 since I don't care about storage.

Thanks

2. STVA macrumors newbie

RAM will probably help you out more than CPU.

3. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I would like to know the same thing.

5. Carlos840 macrumors member

I have option 2 in 11" and it is great!

I first went with the 4gb of ram option and returned it after a week because i often went past the point where it started to empty file cache and started compressing ram content just while using firefox.

Not that it's a big deal, i just didn't like knowing i was using all my ram without really trying very hard.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

You should be happy when the OS uses as much of your RAM as possible, not sad.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I wouldn't bother with the i5 to i7 upgrade, if you are going to be running multiple programs (depending on what they are) the money would be much better spent on a ram upgrade. That being said, the 4GB base model Air handles a lot more than many people think. If you are wanting to upgrade something, I would definitely recommend the ram.

8. John marts macrumors member

option 3. I don't see the CPU boost to be that much of an upgrade for the price, and I'd take 256 gb of storage over 8 gigs of ram any day. My 2014 11' handles the 4 gigs of ram perfectly fine. I can honestly go as far as saying you don't need 8 gigs at all. Unless you use really heavy intensive programs.... which by then you shouldn't even be buying an Air. (iMovie and garageband aren't intensive for an air)

9. motrek macrumors 68020

Why do you have to upgrade anything? Where are you buying from that you can't buy the base model?

10. cycledance Suspended

yep. option 2 is the only one i can recommend. definitely go for 8 gb ram.

11. geta macrumors 6502a

Personally, i would take maxed out MBA, but if its out of your budget, and im guessing you wont feel the difference between i5 and i7, i would go with option no.2, since you can't upgrade the memory down the road...

12. onkzzz thread starter macrumors member

Sony Vegas 11 on the move.
    Photoshop CS5, iMovie, Eclipse (java) and some mild games.
    (MW2 - IW4PLAY, Counter Strike, Payday etc....)

^^ there ya go :p

Yeah, I don't want that to happen to me. I NEED the RAM. After reading this and some recent MacRumors posts, you can't upgrade the RAM and 45% of MBA owners say they needed more than what they brought....

Plus, storage is an easy £200 upgrade. CPU isn't MUCH of a difference to be fair but eh, I think RAM seems like the best option here.

Anyone think different?
    (no pun intended :p )