What MacBook do I need?..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grassgreen, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

What MacBook do I need?

Currently I own a mid 2011 MacBook air, 4gb of ram and a 1,7 intel core processor. It stutters and lags when I try to watch youtube in 1080p 60fps. I´m waiting for Apple to release the updated MacBook pros, hopefully an option without the touch-bar. I don´t know much about hardware, but I can tell you what I want my new laptop to do:
    - run youtube videos smoothly; 4k/1080p 60fps; no stutter, lag, cooling fan spinning on max.
    - run any browser with multiple tabs smoothly.
    - light editing of video or pictures, using Apple software.

Do I need a maxed quad-core cpu and a lot of ram? Or are there cheaper options for my use?

2. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

I'd think a '11 MBA should handle 1080p video without stutter. Try downloading the video and playing back in VLC.
    Chances are the 802n connection is your problem or maybe your internet connection.

If you plan on editing 4K video, you'll want quad core, for anything less dual-core should suffice. Current gen rMBP 15" will do that just fine.

3. Grassgreen, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

Don´t know what that is, speedtest.net says connection is 80Mbps.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I´m waiting for Apple to release the updated MacBook pros, hopefully an option without the touch-bar."

I wouldn't expect to see these before October or November, if by then.
    Are you willing to wait that long?

Either look for a 2016 nontouchbar at a good price now.
    Or consider a 2015 MacBook Pro -- they're still in the active product lineup and can be found for very good prices if you shop carefully.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I would say for your usage the base model non-Touch Bar should be perfectly fine. There is absolutely no need for a quad core i7 processor to run 1080p YouTube videos and using Photos. So I would say get whichever model you likes best, whether it is the 2015 MBP, the 2016 MBP or even the smaller MacBook :)

6. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

you should look for the best GPU you can get, thats what matters the most for what you want.

7. trellaine macrumors member

Hmm I'll post in here. I have been having performance issues with my 21" mid 2011 iMac. I have done tonnes of reading and writing. Mostly torrents. I also own an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6. I considered switching back to a PC, mostly based on cost.

My main uses are pretty general. I use the basic applications and mostly browse the net, YouTube, torrents. And storage for pictures videos etc.

I do want either an iMac 21" or MacBook 13" or larger BUT I want a good screen resolution.

Are the iMacs and MB better quality screens than my current mid 2011 iMac?

Any suggestions appreciated. I am thinking base models BUT screen is important.

Thank u

8. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

That´s also something I´m considering, an iMac because of the cost and gain vs a laptop. I can wait for another year, but this MacBook is pushing it. Getting slower for each update. Battery is also terrible.

I am considering a pc because of the cost, mostly an HP because they make durable laptops imo. But I´m to much of a fan of the OS X. If it hadn't´t been for OS X I would´ve bought a pc ages ago.

9. trellaine macrumors member

Hahaha just having this same discussion with my friend. Not sure I want to go back. My windoze days were really frustrating.

But I did come to think buying a MB and as time goes just a buy a monitor. Another option.

10. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

It´s hard to beat the mobility of a laptop. Apple computers are expensive! My last MacBook before this one lasted me seven years though, and this one has lasted for almost seven years as well. Guess I´m on a seven year cycle :p. But I´m not sure the quality is the same as it was during Jobs era.

If I spread the cost over those seven years it becomes "cheaper", also other laptops seems to get old quick.

Still though, Apple computers are expensive, might I say overpriced?

11. trellaine macrumors member

LOL I think I tend to agree. Every time a new product comes out and I see the price I think PC lol. Apple does cost a lot and I think it's overpriced. If they were $200-300 cheaper I could swallow it easier.

Tough decision. I wish I had money to blow. :(. And I've been in the apple Eco system a long time.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Not if you price the specs out. This is a really old argument.

13. Grassgreen thread starter macrumors regular

In my country Apple jacked up the price, it´s ridiculous. There are some hardware choices, like the 5400rpm hdd, were its obvious they want us to upgrade to ssd at an unreasonable fee.

I hope Apple will check itself and go back to making quality computers. I don´t mind paying a little extra for quality, but currently
    Ok, lets try that..

"hp prebook 640 g2" has the same specs as a "MacBook pro 13"; 8gb ram, 256 ssd, cpu etc.

The HP cost aprox. 1100$, MacBook cost 1950$.