What macbook pro model to purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Treeman574, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Treeman574 macrumors regular

I am planning to purchase a macbook pro sometime in the near future for university and am unsure what model I should purchase. Note: It is very unlikely that I will make this purchase before the pro lineup is updated.

The main reason I need a good laptop is to run AutoCAD 2011/2012 and AutoCAD 3D software. I currently have this running on an older model iMac, 2.4GHz core 2 duo but it feels sluggish and sometimes freezes.

I would like to use this as my main computer for the next 4 or so years, so the 13" mbp with 320GB hard drive and 4GB of ram would be my first choice. I don't care much for screen size because I have a good 19" monitor at home. However I am looking for the best deal in terms of price, processor speed and portability.

Can anyone help me out with this decision? And does anyone have any rough estimates for the mbp updates? Thanks!

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

13" is still only C2D with no discrete graphics. You would be better served by the base model i5 15" if the size works for you.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

for cpu\gpu intensive tasks and if you plan to keep it for 4 years you should probobly skip out on the 13". Even if it is refreshed it will be underpowered compared to what they can put into the 15. I would say get the i5 or i7 15" for your purposes.

4. jtus macrumors member

This is what I have. I am running Autocad 2011 for MAC and it works great.
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

if it freezes o your old 2.4 C2D then it wont be that much better on the base model MBP with a 2.4 CD.

Buy the 15" core i5 model, you wont regret it.

6. Treeman574 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info! I will consider this when I get my mbp. Leaning a bit towards the 15" model, but will wait and see how good the 13" update is.