What MacBook Pro to choose from the following?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by memo90061, Jan 28, 2017.

1. memo90061 macrumors regular

I've been looking at used MacBook Pros and I've narrowed it down to two. I currently have an iMac, and just wanted a MacBook Pro for the times when I'm out of town. I do occasional graphic design jobs, but not that often.

I found two MacBooks that are being sold for the same price! I know my option would be to go with what's best with me. I just want a faster computer, and one that will last longer.

Option 1)
    MacBook Pro 15" 2012 with Retina
    2.3GHz i7 with 250gb SSD and 8gb RAM.
    This one is in very good condition with the F key looking very used.

Option 2)
    MacBook Pro Pro 13" 2014 with Retina
    2.8GHz i5 with 512gb and 8gb RAM
    This one is in good condition with many scratches, but it has Apple Care until August 2017.

What would you go for? I really want the i7, but would like 500gb. Another option would be to wait a little longer. I won't leave town in a while. :/

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

If you are doing advanced graphic jobs then you will need quad-core. If you are doing easy tasks then go for the 2014. Faster SSD and a newer model. Or you can wait for other deals ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

4. Altis macrumors 68020

The 15" is more powerful and should have a longer usable life, plus has the extra screen real estate.

Of the two, I'd get that. Ultimately I'd recommend waiting until the right machine shows up.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Option 1. I have option you and it works great. You can upgrade the SSD yourself later if that's an issue for you down the road. Also, it going to be much faster than the 2014 13" model.

6. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

7. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

It's macbook pro retina 2012, you can't replace the SSD so easy.. And the 2014 one has a much faster SSD.

It is his choice and depends on the type of work he is doing on that laptop. Are you gonna need a powerfull CPU for editing?

8. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

I have my iMac where I do most of the editing and work.

The only time I use the laptop is when I go with a client and work with them side by side. On the laptop it's mostly web browsing, photoshop, adobe premiere pro, and that's mostly it.

Is the difference from the i5 to the i7 noticeable?

9. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Yea...It's noticeable.. i7 quad-core is more powerfull.
    But you must have in mind that macbook pros retina 2012 have issues with the dedicated video card. :)

Aaaand the 2014 model has a much faster SSD.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

In my opinion, both are outstanding machines. But my 2011 15-inch with 16GB RAM and an 850 Pro is as fast as a 6 year younger 13-inch in most areas, remarkably faster with certain heavier loads, and almost stupidly faster than most of the mainstream dual core Windows PCs sold in stores. The 15-inch is inherently more future proof IMO, and an outstanding performer when it comes to handling desktop/workstation loads on a laptop. Additionally, I think you may like having the larger screen for your work.

11. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! :)

I found a cheaper MacBook Pro from 2012 non retina.

It's the 15 inch with 2.6GHz i7 and 8gb RAM. I could easily upgrade RAM and hard drive on that, yes?

12. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Yes, very easily. You can install install a second hard drive in the optical bay, should you desire, and you could do something like a 256/512 GB Samsung 850 Pro in the main bay for the OS, Apps, and files you use most, and save larger files you use less often to a 750 GB or 1 TB Western Digital Black in the CD bay (it's a good 7500 RPM drive and dirt cheap.)

That particular model uses SATA 3 SSDs and 1600 MHz RAM IIRC and it maxes at 16GB. 16GB upgrades should be relatively inexpensive.

13. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! :) I'm waiting for a reply on that laptop. What should I check when buying a used device? Webcam, audio, keyboard keys, and what else?

14. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I would also run the Apple Hardware Test AKA Apple Diagnostics. On that model, if it has Yosemite or newer, IIRC all you have to do is press and hold 'D' at startup. You may also want to visually inspect some of the water damage sensors, if that model contains any of the ones that turn from white to red if they detect water damage. If you plan to use the factory hard drive, you may also want to use a program to pull SMART data to examine the health.