what macbook pro would work for me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krypticos, Sep 30, 2009.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

Hello i have searched and searched, but i can't find anything. what im hoping to find out is can a 13" macbook pro edit hd video with ease, or should i just get a 15" with the 9600m gt in it. my funds are limited but i can see spending the money if i need to. i shot youtube videos with a sanyo hd 2000 in 1080p at 60 frames per second. i currently have a late 2007 whitebook, it does ok but rendering out the video takes about 3 hours for a 7 min video. i would get a refurbished 13" or 15" mbp because of my limited funds. thank you.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

A 15" would really help, especially with SL and OpenCL (utilizes the GPU more in rendering=faster), but the 13" can do the job. The 15" would be faster though.:)

3. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the reply. but how well does the 13" handle hd video. im hoping for rendering time comparison or something. because i know that the 15" would be better but if its only going to give me 5 min faster results then saving 500 dollars will be better than getting the 15", but if the 15" is say 20 min faster than that maybe really worth the extra money. i know that open cl will be a heck of a lot better on the 15" than the 13", but im not looking at open cl just yet there is nothing that car really use it.

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

5. psj macrumors newbie

Checkout Elgato Turbo.264HD. I have Elgato Turbo and it speeds things up considerably since my PB 550Mz

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd look at the 15" MBP with the larger screen and superior GPU. Anything less will leave you wondering if you made the right decision. If you have to wait a month or two, that might be better then compromising on something that may not ultimately fit your needs.

Another options, if its financially feasible is to get the 13" MBP and a decent display to work in conjunction with the laptop This has an advantage, in that the regular displays are 8bit, the MBPs are 6bit so they dither the images instead of display millions of colors and the other advantage is that you have a large screen real estate to work with. The downside is that you're still dealing with the integrated GPU (which is no slouch mind you just slower then the 9600m)