What Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by evamoree, Mar 11, 2017.

1. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

I'll start off with a little bit of an intro:

I am completely and utterly clueless with anything to do with Macbooks. But my Windows laptop is too big and clunky to take to places, has bad-ish graphics (200 and 300 benchmark scores, can't remember which is 3D and which is 2D) and has been slowing down. Its now like a project which I don't have much time or knowledge for, so I've recently begun looking at Macbooks and need a little help.

I'm a college student looking to go to Uni. I work but can't afford a really expensive macbook (so not one of the £2000 ones unless its a good idea). I don't do any gaming (minus The Sims 4 and Minecraft at one point but gave up once I couldn't get used to it, not to say I won't be using it again though). I like to have lots of tabs open and have at points used programmes such as Serif PagePlus/DrawPlus.

As a college student, one of my subjects is IT (Information Technology) and I use Word/Google Docs a lot and have lots of files. Thanks to IT and WiFi etc problems with my laptop, I have learned to fix basic things for Windows computers (uninstalling + reinstalling drivers, doing benchmarks, manually removing viruses and trying to keep them as fast as possible) and will probably want to be doing the same for Macbooks, which is part of the reason for why I plan on getting one.

I've been looking at the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and the only difference I can see without delving into it deeper is the GHz (and maybe the release year? I don't know, it's just that the Pro says 2016 in the title and the other one doesn't). I haven't yet looked at the Air. I would prefer to get a different colour but if specifications are significantly better then I would choose the Pro. Because I'm in education, I will have a student discount which will help towards the cost.

I've also been considering AppleCare. I never had it for my iPhones as they were always pre-owned so was never an option, and if it was an option for the Watch then I didn't get it for that either. It seems a big extra cost but I don't know much about how durable Macbooks are, so was wondering if anyone else has ever needed it.

Can anyone help?

2. Wackery macrumors 6502a

Buy a macbook air

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Seriously if your on a tight budget your not going to get a cheap Mac in UK even a refurb MB 12" are £1000 lowest spec

All companies offer extended warranties for extra £'s so there is no advantage to anyone over another, if you intend to keep your laptop more than 2 years it's worth considering or even if you sell it at 2.75 years at least new owner has a little coverage

For Uni a small footprint laptop is a very good idea 12" or 13" ultra's

Personally I would not recommend the Air although good value the screen resolution is poor by todays standards so if your determined to get a Mac a refurb 12 MB is a very good option and comes with full warranty

else

There are also many fine other ultra portables available in the Windows world with core m/u processors which would be fine for your usage

So look at Samsung Tab pro S, Yoga's HP and Dell as you could easily be in the £6-700 range with touch and pen support as a bouns

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

I agree with @SteveJUAE.

I'd recommend the 12" MacBook for your usage. You do not need the Pro, nor can you afford it by the sounds of things. If you're considering the Air - don't. I would strongly suggest a Windows-based Ultrabook over an Air.

There's more differences than processor speed, but in terms of marketing/sales that's all Apple tends to show on their site. The rest is far too technical for the majority of people, so wouldn't mean anything to them.

I'd keep an eye on the UK MacBook refurb page and pick up one of the 2016 models when a colour of your choice becomes available.

By the way, there's no driver installation/reinstallation on macOS. There's no true viruses on macOS. There's no way/need to keep a Mac 'running as fast as possible' - it's done for you. You're going to be very bored if you're looking to "fiddle". That's the beauty of a Mac. You turn it on day one, restart for updates, but just close the lid and open again when you need it for the other 350 days of the year.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Pick up a refurb Air or the classic 2012 Macbook Pro. It's fast enough for your usage.

Buying the Macbook or the new Pros will cost you extra due to the dongles that you will eventually need to connect.

Brexit didn't help Apple prices in the UK. I regret not picking one up myself before prices were raised.

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

I stress again, do not buy a MacBook Air in 2017.

7. Wackery macrumors 6502a

the screen is not that bad, don't listen to this man. He wants to waste your money

8. lowkey macrumors 6502

compared to a Retina display, the screen on an Air is absolute RUBBISH.
    There is no way id suggest it for a college student, who spends long periods staring at a screen, but one that is comparatively blurry.

Get the entry level 12" MB. The screen is beautiful. It weighs nothing, and for general everyday computing tasks its going to be operating in turbo mode at 2.4 GHz.

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

I didn't even mention the screen. You just put the final nail in the coffin all by yourself.

10. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

For your use case, a MacBook Air is a great value. I believe there actually was a bump in 2015 to 16 to give them 8 GB. I think you'll see most of the benefit in the fast SSD and easy to manage OS.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Consider his resources. The Air is fine for a few years. If it's about getting the work done, there is nothing wrong with that product.

11. lowkey macrumors 6502

Going back and forth between a Retina display if you have an iPhone and a non-retina on an Air brings nothing but constant disappointment.

Yes there is something wrong with the Air. The screen is 8 year old technology and it shows.

12. SteveJUAE, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

To be fair to Glockworkorange amd Wackery

It is true that the MBA does not restrict you in being productive in normal day to day workflow

But it is a poorer experience visually and given most of us consider the screen as a primary consideration for entertainment etc on our Mac's and the OP experience he/she is more likely to be thrilled with the retina than other internal specs

IMO we have advised the OP correctly to ensure he/she get maximum enjoyment and use even on this budget. You have to be more IT aware to choose the MBA over a MB to see the positives of the MBA