What Macintosh IT tools do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by n8236, Apr 30, 2008.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I work in the IT sector doing a lot of general work in all fields and I like to know what tools you use for your Mac arsenal of applications.

I have all the tools I need while in Windows, but I like to make the transition to OSX fully w/ comparable applications. I use http://www.solarwinds.com/products/toolsets/engineer.aspx while Windows, is there an alternative to this?

Thanks for any info.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm sure you already have these, but Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (to RDP into Windows machines) and Chicken of the VNC.

The tools I use most of the time (Microsoft SQL server stuff + VMWare Infrastructure client) are Windows only, so I spend a fair amount of time switching back and forth between OS X and Fusion running an XP guest machine. At least Spaces makes it easy enough. :)

3. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, I do have Chicken of VPN and the latest Remote Desktop. Those have been saviors. I'm also running Shimo/Cisco VPN client. For the most part those tools are sufficient, but I guess I'll keep digging for more in depth tools.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ah, I forgot about my VPN client. I'm using IPSecuritas, which is freeware, and works great connecting to Checkpoint VPN-1 firewalls (amongst others).

There's quite a few IT guys on the forums here, so give this thread a little time and hopefully we'll all pick up a few new things. :)

5. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I use CoRD for RDP.

Of course, also Fusion since I do stuff with the VMware VIC/etc.

Mike