What MacPro did you just order, specs :D

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by apeden, Aug 8, 2011.

1. apeden macrumors member

Thought I would share and thought we should have this as a sticky note.

Just ordered my 3.33ghz 6 core macro, with the ATi Radeon HD 5870, with dual drives. Everything is else stock, and I am going go to add 16 gb of ram from OWC.

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

if i ever thought about ordering a Mac Pro, i'd atleast wait till a refresh with sandybridge and thunderbolt..

3. peabo macrumors regular

Unless you really need it today I'd say you'd be crazy to order a Mac Pro at this point in time, or at least a first-hand, full price one from Apple. They really are looking long in the tooth and very over-priced compared to all the other Macs available right now.

4. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

What for? Honestly!

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Congrats on the Mac pro! It's going to be an awesome computer for you :)

I got my Mac Pro a few months ago and it's fantastic, I got the 12 core with Radeon 5870. Are you going to upgrade the RAM as well?

6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Yea, I'm planning on waiting until the new ones come out then buy a refurb 2010 and do the hex upgrade on it.
    Lion only = no go.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Uh, no.

8. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

thats still a powerful system. I bet the refresh isn't as much of a huge upgrade as people think.

9. blunti macrumors 6502a

I think in another topic Nanofrog was visioning a 20% increase which is huge imo... :)

10. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

As stated, at least 20%.
    But I'm not getting one. I have same system as OP. Never breaks a sweat unless I am running benchmarks. Will be using for years. Even longer if we can get some bootable SATA 6Gb cards. I wouldn't feel like I was missing out so much.

11. peabo macrumors regular

The refresh won't be massive, no, but it's coming quite soon. At least the 3.33 hex core is probably the most sensible buy at the moment, though you're still paying a hefty premium if you buy at the RRP.

12. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

theres a lot of new hardware thats relevant to the people buying the Mac Pro

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

:confused: Why? You are in the wrong sub-forum if you are hoping for high-fiving and admiration.

14. blunti macrumors 6502a

i think he means to make a sticky out of this topic and not about his purchase. or something like that... :)

15. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

The refresh won't come sooner than February/March 2012.

16. proxtoyz macrumors newbie

against all the better advice i also ordered mine recently (3.2ghz quad, 12gb ram, 5870)

it's still going to be a very good machine and last several years and quite frankly I don't really trust the direction apple are going in with their hardware so i bought this machine which i know is amazingly powerful rather than wait X amount of time for goodness knows what they decide to do with the line,

in addition to this a couple of years down the line there will probably be a graphics card upgrade available and the student discount took the edge of it so it wasn't as bad

17. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Thats another 6-7 months away. New Mac Pro's before then, surely.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, they won't be out sooner, as there aren't any parts available yet.

The estimate is due to the scheduled release date of the LGA2011 socket parts (Q4 2011), followed by another 13 weeks to get them manufactured and shipped (assuming there aren't any more problems that cause delays).

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But doesn't Apple get the CPU shipments earlier anyway, thus the 13-week period is inaccurate and irrelevant? Usually OEMs are able to release products with the new CPUs on the same day the CPUs are released, or a few days later. This was the case with 2011 MBPs for instance. Of course, that is assuming that Intel can provide enough stock in the beginning.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not always, and in the case of the last MP, they didn't. 2009 was the last year Apple got CPU's suited for the MP early, and those systems didn't reach users 13 weeks early (maybe a month, which I suspect was due to the switch to the CPU tray + backplane board design from Foxconn).

Given the small volume of the MP's (not the same as when SP and DP units used the same CPU's), their buying power has been reduced, thus they're now in the same situation as other vendors (they use more CPUID's for a system, so the volume per isn't high enough to negotiate special terms, such as early shipments). The consumer systems OTOH, sell in higher volumes it seems, so Intel would still be willing to negotiate for those products.

Nor does Intel make their boards any longer, so that doesn't help either (boards are more lucrative than the CPU's on a per unit basis). So the switch to Foxconn has even further reduced Apple's leverage for contract negotiations on a lower volume CPU purchases such as what they buy for the MP.

21. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Big congrats on the order.

Don't be discouraged by the jackballs bagging on this purchase. The next gen isn't going to be available until early 2012 and even then the speed bump will be relatively modest.

cheers
    JohnG

22. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Yeah, trust this guy, he works for Apple, he's allowed to tell people the state of their products.

Kind sir, could you tell me when the new iPhone is going to arrive?

23. apeden thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I want this to be a sticky of what king of MacPro people just ordered. MBP has this type of sticky in their fourms and I thought it is a good idea for us to have too. You would just post what kind of MP you just bought and the specs on it :)

24. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Congrats on your purchase!

The sticky's for Benchmarks encompasses this already I believe? and the posts also give data back regarding the performance of their MP config.

my2¢

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I didn't mean early as in before the others, but at the same time as the others. When Intel releases new CPUs, OEMs (such as Dell, Acer, HP etc) will immediately release new products utilizing those products, which means they have gotten CPU shipments before the release date in order to manufacture the products. At least this is the case with consumer parts, I don't know is it much different with servers.

Basically, I was questioning your statement that it takes at least 13 weeks after the release of the new CPUs before Apple can release the new Mac Pros.