What macs have the TI firewire chipset? Apple wont respond.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jfremani, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jfremani macrumors regular

The macbooks and macbook pros have been being shipped with the agere firewire chipset which is pretty HORRIBLE if you plan on doing any video or audio production. (Especially, when using bootcamp) - I have a macbook with this Agere firewire, but would like to know if apple has gone back to the TI chips for the newer Macs, or not?

On a side note, I have emailed Apple, sent feedback and have gotten no response. I have posted questions about it on the Apple discussion forum and Apple has DELETED MY MESSAGES. Good stuff.

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

3. jfremani thread starter macrumors regular

I havent used it for video editing, but for audio editing it has problems interfacing smoothly with firewire audio devices. All manufacturers have noted this as a problem and even some have declared these macbooks to be incompatible. In my case, it crackles and pops and can't produce a low latency.. although the unit works fine on my old PC. Apple seems to be ignoring the situation publicly and even moderates the discussion of it on it's own boards.

However, on *all* the major 3rd party audio interface's boards this huge problem can be found. It's especially problematic on the Window's side, which is promising since it could possibly be improved with software/drivers.

Mark of the Unicorn, Alesis, Presonus, M-Audio, Edirol, Echo, RME, etc.