Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbe858

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
i just got mine

I just got the first mac i ever wanted...i was so happy like a little kid...opening up a 47 pound fedex box.....

A PowerMac G5 Quad :D

oh i wanted an emac too...but i dont know what i would do with it, it would just take up space and its not exactly lightweight either. :confused:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I got a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5 Ghz off of Craigslist a few weeks ago and I'm in love with it.

It's a nice addition to my collection of computers that the wife despises.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
I have a small list:

When I was younger (around 11 in '03), I wanted a PowerBook 3400c, but ended up with a 1400cs. I eventually got 2 3400's over time, but don't have them anymore.

Later I really wanted a PowerBook G3. I got a Wallstreet in '04 for $225:eek:. I would own 6 more G3's of various generations over the next set of years.

With my first PB G3, I also wanted a iMac G3, as my first 'modern Mac.' I finally got one on late '04 for $96 shipped, which I though was a great deal. It was a 233 Rev. A. I owned 2 more and sold them. I really want a lime now.

I eventually really wanted an iMac G4. I finally got one (my 15" 800MHz) in '07 for $300. It was my first G4, replacing the Graphite G3. I still have the G4, in addition to the new 20" G4 i recently picked up. I got it for $75 because the RAM (and maybe HD) was bad, which I fixed.

I now also would really like a PowerBook G4. I owned a 12" but traded it about 2 years ago.

I'd also love a lime or indigo Clamshell iBook.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Apple IIe with dual disk drives and Applesoft BASIC on an expansion card. That was the first computer I ever used (high school).
Apple IIc-- it's like a IIe in a smaller, more attractive box.
Macintosh SE/30. I used these extensively in college, and even programmed a simple HyperCard game or two.
iMac G4 "Luxo Lamp" 20". Stunningly gorgeous; it caught my eye in a CompUSA store and made me want to reenter the Mac world.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Right now I would love a 3.06Ghz C2D 27" iMac as I have fallen in love with Intel and will not be buying another PowerPC Mac. :)

Oh,and a 24" ACD would be pretty sweet right now.

SaberBlock

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Northwich, Cheshire, UK
Hollywood caught my attention back in the 90's

I always wanted a PowerBook 5300 from the film Indpendance Day. The PowerBook probably gave the best acting performance in the film!

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
17" PowerBook G4

would give up any of my macs for one.

Until the hinge gives. All powerbooks and macbook pros (old design) 17" are plagued with the weak hinge spot. It's a rare case but it can happen. Around the bottom right/left a hair crack comes. At first it's just a crack but it gets so bad then when you manage to close it the display cables can be seen and pieces of plastic come off. i paid 850 euro to get my 17" fixed. a few months later looking through some forums and people got theirs fixed for free!:mad:

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
Until the hinge gives. All powerbooks and macbook pros (old design) 17" are plagued with the weak hinge spot. It's a rare case but it can happen. Around the bottom right/left a hair crack comes. At first it's just a crack but it gets so bad then when you manage to close it the display cables can be seen and pieces of plastic come off. i paid 850 euro to get my 17" fixed. a few months later looking through some forums and people got theirs fixed for free!:mad:

Hmm, they deleted my post for some reason.

I can relate to that, My grandmother's late 2006 iMac (the one I have right now) started having the lines problem and Apple said that they wouldn't fix it for free. So this past Christmas, I gave her my new Mac Mini and she gave me her old iMac. The day I got her old iMac, I call up Apple support and they then said that they would fix it for free. :mad:

Still, I love the pre-unibody designs of PowerBooks and MacBook Pros. To be honest, I'd chose a 17" PowerBook G4 over a new 21" iMac anyday. They still have a lot of potential if you upgrade them.

My 12" still works fine, though it's off a lot since I haven't used my computers a lot lately, I have an iMac G3 running Tiger set up beside my bed for email and web browsing when I wake up in the morning and since the bed is so comfy, I rarely use my desk setup lately as I have been distracted by other things.

Anyways the macs I still need to collect are:

17" PowerBook G4
PowerBook G3
PowerMac G4 Cube
PowerMac G4 MDD

and you can add to the list a 8-Core Mac Pro w/ 3x30" Apple Cinema Displays. I hate the new 24" LED design, the metal design is so much better IMO.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Hmm, they deleted my post for some reason.

I can relate to that, My grandmother's late 2006 iMac (the one I have right now) started having the lines problem and Apple said that they wouldn't fix it for free. So this past Christmas, I gave her my new Mac Mini and she gave me her old iMac. The day I got her old iMac, I call up Apple support and they then said that they would fix it for free. :mad:

Still, I love the pre-unibody designs of PowerBooks and MacBook Pros. To be honest, I'd chose a 17" PowerBook G4 over a new 21" iMac anyday. They still have a lot of potential if you upgrade them.

My 12" still works fine, though it's off a lot since I haven't used my computers a lot lately, I have an iMac G3 running Tiger set up beside my bed for email and web browsing when I wake up in the morning and since the bed is so comfy, I rarely use my desk setup lately as I have been distracted by other things.

Anyways the macs I still need to collect are:

17" PowerBook G4
PowerBook G3
PowerMac G4 Cube
PowerMac G4 MDD

and you can add to the list a 8-Core Mac Pro w/ 3x30" Apple Cinema Displays. I hate the new 24" LED design, the metal design is so much better IMO.
If you really want to get a pre-unibody mac. Get the 17" Pro. I have the last model revision before unibody thing in october (picture someone really pissed). It's still good. Flash and html5 run slow on a powerbook so i don't think its the best way to go foward especially with youtube offering 1080p content.

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
If you really want to get a pre-unibody mac. Get the 17" Pro. I have the last model revision before unibody thing in october (picture someone really pissed). It's still good. Flash and html5 run slow on a powerbook so i don't think its the best way to go foward especially with youtube offering 1080p content.

I might after I get my i7 iMac. I'll have to make sure that I don't get stuck with a death card version.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
I might after I get my i7 iMac. I'll have to make sure that I don't get stuck with a death card version.

I believe all the good models have the death card. Don't be plagued with the Ati radeon 1600. Our very own Veronica Belmont had trouble playing bloody World of Warcraft on her 15" 2.16GHz model. So get the fastest if you want to go the x1600 route. And don't forget we have windows driver issues with those models.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Right now a iMac Alum 2.66Ghz last Gen would be sweet as a main system and can handle my load,which I found out is huge by overheating my MB several times a lot better and I would like a 13" MBP if they update them,I will sell my MB for a base line updated MBP.

Archon Gold

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Canada, Ontario
Right now a iMac Alum 2.66Ghz last Gen would be sweet as a main system and can handle my load,which I found out is huge by overheating my MB several times a lot better and I would like a 13" MBP if they update them,I will sell my MB for a base line updated MBP.

What a shame, they still haven't fixed the overheating problem in the MacBooks? :(

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
"Collectors"

As this is in the "Collectors" sub-forum, I'll keep it to older "collectible" systems, rather than new (or even fairly new) systems that would still be good for 'day to day' use.

First was the original Macintosh. But now I have one of those. (That was manufactured in 1983, according to the serial number!)

The others that I really want are a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh and a first-gen Intel iMac. (Which borders on still usable, but it's the only 'first' system in an architecture I'm missing, as I have the original Macintosh, Portable, PowerBook 100, Power Macintosh 7100/66, PowerBook 5300c, and MacBook Pro Core Duo.)

I have both an Apple IIc and IIc+, but it would be nice to have a IIe (preferably the last Enhanced IIe with extended keyboard.) I already have a IIgs as well. More accessories for it would be nice, such as a SCSI card.

Of course, a Lisa, Apple III, and Apple I would be icing on the cake, but those are always expensive (the original dual-Twiggy Lisa and Apple I well into the "insanely expensive" category.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.