What made "the switch" worth it to you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kobyh15, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I have been perusing this forum for months, but this is my first official post. I have to say that I have learned a lot about Macs as well as computers in general just by searching this forum. I have been using PCs since I can remember. However, I will be attending medical school in the fall and have become increasingly intrigued by the Macbook Pro's combination of portability, power, and build quality. I would say that during my interview process, 3 out of every 4 computers I saw at the respective medical schools were Apples.

So this leads to my reason for posting. I was wondering if there were others like me who had used PCs throughout their undergraduate education, and then chose to make the switch before entering their graduate work. What about OS X or the Mac hardware made it worth it to you? Is there anything you miss about using a PC/Windows? Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. CopperX macrumors member

As a Computer Science graduate student there's NOTHING I miss about Windows, but a lot that I miss about OS X when I'm forced to work in a Windows machine.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I work in the Pharmaceutical field, any anytime a professor brings a laptop to make a presentation or give a lecture, its 9 times out of 10 a MacBook Pro.

Personally the switch was worth it to me because...
    I could walk into a store (Apple) and walk out with a laptop 5 minutes later that I KNEW was going to work seamlessly with all my audio software and recording hardware. I went into it with those expectations, and they were full met.

The only thing I miss about windows is building the systems. And they relatively cheap cost of doing it. Which also allowed you the ability to upgrade your machine without getting a new one.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I made the switch when my windows laptop died and that was after university when I had a proper job. Looking back I wish I had made the switch a lot sooner as I can do everything I want on a mac.

The hardware and software are the best. All you need is office 2010 and you'll be set.

And if you ever need windows you can set up boot camp and you have windows.

5. kobyh15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am finishing up my undergraduate this semester, and this has been the case for me as well. Actually, my professors have been the ones responsible for piquing my interest in the MacBook Pros. They swear by them...and the ol' mid-2007 Dell Latitude D830 is getting a little long in the tooth. Haha, it has been a good machine, but I have been saving money over the last 4 years in anticipation of buying a new machine when I graduated. Thinking maybe the Sandy Bridge refresh would be a nice time to make the leap.

6. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

1)beautiful screen/beautiful machine -- make user feel good about opening the laptop
    2)something about company making both hardware and software. They have to know more about how overall works for user than microsoft and any other hardware manufacture combined.
    3)less bug and less virus (this is the fact that it's based on unix and also apple controls both(see 2)) -- what this does is, my 2009 mb is just as fast if I bought some windows machine in 2010... actually 2009 mb will be just as fast 3 years later than the day you bought it.
    4)Virtual machine will just continue to improve and pretty soon you should be able to run windows(or any other os for that matter) fairly seamlessly(some say we are already there).
    5)app store is pretty cool too...
    6)trackpad

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Before I started using Mac, I had been a long-time Linux-user. I already then missed nothing about Windows. Not that I can't use Win anymore - it's an ok OS which I use every day at work. As long as I have had Win XP, I have rarely had kernel panic (BSOD), so in my experience, Windows is ok.

What I like the most about Mac OS X is that it's reliable. I never experience that applications suddenly won't work e.g. because of corrupted DLL-files. Wifi used to be a bag of pain when I had non-apple-laptops, as the wireless card would stop working on a whim. This I have yet to experience with my MB.

8. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Why I made the switch? Well first, as I matured I felt that I didn't have a need for windows anymore. In any profession, you don't have the time to search for device drivers or troubleshoot problems. You need to be ready all the time and that's what my mac is. It's just ready all the time, that's why I chose the mac.

9. kobyh15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true. It's cool having the choice to run your day-to-day operations such as web browsing, iTunes, and the like on OS X and then having the flexibility to run Windows if you truly need it. Understanding price as an issue, I don't see any other reason to own a Windows-based notebook knowing that the Mac can run both operating systems easily. It just doesn't seem like PC makers are making high-quality laptops these days (may be changing a slight bit - Lenovo and maybe HP Envy). It's a race to offer the bottom dollar with the high end consumer taking the hit in the end. I honestly don't think I would trade my Latitude for anything on the PC side of the market today.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Good answer ... if you ever need your computer to be reliable for work and have out-grown your gaming days ... a Mac will get the job done. :cool:

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It was worth it to me due to all the beautiful women who want to have sex with guys that own a MBP. If you combine a MBP and beer that has a slogan like, 'drink our beer and beautiful women will have sex with you', your life than becomes like that song from the Lonely Island and Akon, "I Just Had Sex".

Seriously though, it was worth it due to the level of positive reviews the MBP got and at first I wasn't sure about the cash, but I would do it again in a second now. They are great computers, but the MBP may not fit many people's work (ex: if you need USB3, 16:9 screen, Blu Ray, etc)

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i was kinda forced into getting a mbp because i'm a developer and need the iOS dev app and i needed a laptop so i thought i would kill 2 birds with 1 stone and just get a macbook pro.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

From a slightly different perspective, I don't feel as though the switch was worth it for me, but I'm not disappointed in the experience I've had with my mac. I think it feels like an expensive computer, which it should. Nice materials, great keyboard and trackpad. Very nice build quality and OSX is fine. I never had any major problems with Windows, but I've never had any major hiccups with OSX either.

I was forced to switch for school, and even though I wouldn't have bought a Mac if I didn't have to, I'm not upset that I did.

I usually recommend Mac to any first time buyer that can afford it, simply because I hope they will have less problems, and have a fully working machine out of the box as others have mentioned. I have no problems with Windows, but I do have a problem with the likes of HP, Dell, Acer who load the computers with crap. Personally, I would wipe the computer right away and start fresh, but first time users or any non-techy should not have to deal with that.

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree with the other posters here. I actually don't have issues with windows other than Vista, which never should have existed. In fact, I really like win7 despite a few glitches, but I just like the feel of a Mac better. There are a few relatively simple bits that just make the user experience more enjoyable. Plus, for the laptops, the keyboard and trackpad are both wonderful to use, and the design is great as well. Plus you don't have to worry about viruses and the shenanigans of antivirus software, which is wonderful as well. I say if you've got the dough for a MBP, go for it, they're great.

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

The pretty graphics and supposed amazing longevity. After going through 3 or four PC/windows computers/laptops in a matter of 12-18 months you get pissed. I love everything about OS X, I don't know how they do it but EVERYTHING is where I need it, it just "works". Nothing against windows but I've seen some specced out windows laptops fall to there knees in months and function like junk from God knows what. With my MBP in order to slow it down I actually have to be obnoxious in application use like I've said 1000x on this board. Seriously I just had Oovoo AND skype running with CS5 editing a photo, downloading a large file, watching House MD, and encoding video with handbrake no lag, no "Program is not responding", no control alt delete, no BS that slows me down. When I was looking at MacBooks the guy in charge of that area at Bestbuy was telling me how the guy in charge of apples macbook sales in NY stopped in and to prove a point went to a stock display model MacBook and opened 40 programs...needless to say I was totally sold after that. So yes the switch is awesome. My hesitation to switch was compatibility which I've had no issues finding Mac OS X versions of programs I've needed and the elitist country clubesk cult that Mac users seam to have, I guess its pretty cool though hanging with people who have similar computers that actually work :rolleyes:

16. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

To answer the OP's question, I feel that the "switch" is worth it for me because I'm able to run MS Windows 24/7 on my MBP. :)

17. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I'm not a switcher, but rather one who uses both Mac & PC. In my cross platform experience I choose to focus on the positive and have no interest in being critical of either. Both having pros & cons, it's nothing other than my slight personal preference for the Mac. Having used both for years, with the advent of Windows 7, they've never been closer on providing the average consumer a great experience. If I had to choose just one it would be my newest 2010 15" fully optioned MBP. It's a wonderful machine.

18. kamalds macrumors regular

Have you ever used Lenovo Thinkpads or Fujitsu Lifebooks? All windows notebooks aren't same.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What made the switch worthwhile for me was being able to run major apps (e.g. Office, Photoshop) and still having a full Unix environment a mouse click away. Once it became easy to run Windows on Intel Macs it became gravy.

Are you saying that these PC notebooks are less upgradeable than other PCs or Macs?

The unibody Macbooks are about as easy to upgrade RAM and storage as any other machine and that would usually be the extent of upgrades in a modern notebook anyhow.

B

20. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I had been on Windows for about 6 years (before that I was hardcore Mac since '94). I really liked the Windows 7 beta, but the release version of Win 7 was crap and it was giving me a lot of trouble. Got myself a two year old unibody and have been very satisfied. The only reason I need to upgrade now is getting access to 8gb of RAM.

21. thisisvick macrumors newbie

As Easy as 1, 2, 3

Im surprised this doesn't get mentioned enough but I literally bought a macbook pro 13' strictly for the privilege to 2-finger scroll websites, itunes, etc. I even went so far to see what the market (PC side) had that was comparable. My friend was showing off his HP Envy which has multi-touch zoom and scroll but it is no way close the smoothness and accuracy a macbook gives.

In addition, after discovering bettertouchtools, I really dont think I can go back to a non multi-touch touchpad interface. Im literally addicted to it, I scroll through Chrome tabs, minimize and close windows all at the flick of a finger. The cost is the always the deterring factor when it comes to purchasing an Apple product. But if you can score the student discount deal + free ipod, you got a pretty sweet thing going.

Bonus points also that developers have made Aero Peek and Snap Window features for OSX.

22. kobyh15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%. I spent some time at the local Best Buy just to try out the multitouch gestures on the Macbook Pros. It's really nice to be able to swipe your windows off to show a clean desktop. The two finger scroll is very cool as well. Makes you wonder why someone else hadn't thought of it before..as do many things that Apple comes up with. I am a huge fan of the snap window feature in Windows 7. Essential for writing papers with your word document and source side by side.

23. ender land macrumors 6502a

I started a masters program last fall in August so was in a very similar situation.

Reasons I am happy with my 13" mbp (purchased about 3 months ago as my first mac, slightly into my graduate studies) -

• Trackpad quality
    • Overall build quality
    • sleep -> awake time (~1 second)
    • battery life
    • screen quality
    • backlit keyboard
    • Sleek design
    • OS's focus on usability/appearance
    • reliability/customer support

Did it cost more? Yup. But I am glad to pay for those features (my roommate got a $700 windows laptop with comparable, if not better specs vs my $1200 mbp) - even if it is something like
    $100 - trackpad
    $100 - overall build (unibody)
    $50 - sleep time
    $50 - battery life
    $25 - backlit screen
    $50 - awesome display
    $50 - os:x vs windows
    $50 - reliability/customer support

I thought about the differences in terms of what you pay per difference and the number of hours I will use my computer in the future (a tooooon, easily in the thousands) I have no problem paying extra for specific features such as those I listed. The construction quality on my MBP is AWESOME. My roommates pc is a plastic, feels like junk, computer. It probably is not as bad as it feels but I am wiling to pay for that difference.

I hate trackpads in general, so having a high quality one was key for me - I testd a lot of windows laptops and NONE came close to the mac trackpads. In fact I normally do not even use a mouse with my laptop now! I would have never dreamed of that with a windows laptop.

I actually have more problems with OS:X than I ever did with XP, but part of that comes with having used XP extensively for many years and not having any issues to speak of.

24. vistadude, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

vistadude macrumors 65816

I went with a mac notebook because in 2009, when I wanted a new notebook, there was nothing out there that was 1 inch thick or less, quiet, and relatively fast. I also wanted to try something different but still have windows to fall back on in case mac os didn't work out.

Edit: Wasn't really a switch, I still keep a windows desktop at home for entertainment.

Edit 2: I wouldn't make the move until Outlook was available for Mac OS. When the beta was released I convinced myself a mac might be a good change and bought the mac before Outlook was released. Indeed Outlook 2011 is a great software application.

25. kobyh15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the insight ender land, sounds like you had a very similar decision to mine on your hands a few months ago. I believe that, generally speaking, you do get what you pay for most of the time. The machine that I have used for the last 4 years was not cheap when I bought it, but I thought it was worth it as an investment. I feel similarly about my upcoming purchase. I want a computer that has a solid feel with good build quality that is going to last me for the next 4+ years. And in looking around and doing a lot of research, the Macbook Pro seems like a top of the line choice.