Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Was it the battery life? Did you buy it for movie editing? The unibody design?

Personally, I am buying mine for highschool. I want to do light video editing, and light gaming - so I'm gonna go for the low-end 13 inch. ;)

So what made you guys buy it? :)

fattakin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Worked on PC's all my life, office & home. Got tired of having to pirate loads of software just to do something creative, tired of endless updates & secrity. Tired of having different apps that dont work together.

Decided to try mac after using a friends for a weekend and IT JUST WORKS!

jolawson

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Dacula, GA
You wont be upset. I've had my 13" MBP now for 3 weeks, and cant brag enough about it. I came from a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite. Huge difference in battery life. Personally, Ive been eyeing them for a while, and finally was in the position to purchase one. I did buy the additional Applecare warranty with it, as most people will suggest.

To answer your question a little more clearly, I purchased my MBP because of the build quality, the battery life, and the simplicity. I'm not a gamer, so I cannot give you experience on that part.

Good luck!

Corsairkid

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
You wont be upset. I've had my 13" MBP now for 3 weeks, and cant brag enough about it. I came from a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite. Huge difference in battery life. Personally, Ive been eyeing them for a while, and finally was in the position to purchase one. I did buy the additional Applecare warranty with it, as most people will suggest.

To answer your question a little more clearly, I purchased my MBP because of the build quality, the battery life, and the simplicity. I'm not a gamer, so I cannot give you experience on that part.

Good luck!

I had the same situation. I just bought my basic level 13" mbp this week, and I was coming from a 15" Toshiba Satellite. I was sick of everything running so slow on the Toshiba...30 seconds to open itunes, 10 seconds to open a word doc, 5 seconds to switch between programs. With the MBP, everything opens within a second or two, I love it.

Battery life is phenomenal on the mac...doing some writing in Pages and some casual web surfing, I was on my couch for 6 hours and still had about 30% battery left..with the Toshiba, I could only go unplugged for an hour and a half or so WITH wifi off.

It was fairly simple to get used to OSX compared to Vista...everything is very logical. I still forget that the menu for each app is located at the top of the screen instead of inside the app itself, though.

I have not used imovie yet but I have heard great things about it...it should be plenty for the uses that you described.

r3dhawk

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Basically MBPs are just great computers. I am typing on my very first mac and i love it. its solid and so easy to use. the trackpad is second to none. i cant wait to discover all of this computers hidden wonders lol

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Some of us "geezers" are still amazed at high school and pre high school kids that can afford $1200.00 computers...in my day, we were THRILLED to be able to afford a $5.00 mono AM transistor radio with a "single ear" headphone...AND WE LIKED IT!!!! :D

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Cost of ownership, mainly.

(lol)

Nah, I wanted to try something new. I needed a new laptop, I wanted something that could do all the media things I wanted and I like trying new things. I want to develop iphone applications. It was just really good timing. I'm glad I did, it's kind of fun not knowing how to use a computer again and being happy when you figure/find things out.

mytoki

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Is the difference in screen size very noticeable since you came from 15" to 13" MBP?

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
My family's first computer was an iMac G3, so its what I grew up, and am more comfortable with, when it can time to get one for college, i was gonna get one of the unibody MacBooks, but then they changed them to the MacBook Pro's so I got one of them. I'm really happy with it. I love the keyboard and the SD card slot.

Corsairkid

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Is the difference in screen size very noticeable since you came from 15" to 13" MBP?

Yes and no. The screen on my 13" MBP is much higher quality than the 15" on my Toshiba, so it is much easier to read things on the screen.

As far as everyday use goes, I don't miss the 15" screen as the things I use my computer for don't usually need all the screen real estate...primarily word documents and internet browsing.

I am not a big movie/media watcher on my computers, so that is a non-issue for me as well. I love the crispness provided by the MBP 13" screen...much better than the Toshiba.

MikeyJ57

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2009
Worked on PC's all my life, office & home. Got tired of having to pirate loads of software just to do something creative, tired of endless updates & secrity. Tired of having different apps that dont work together.

+1
Got jealous of my daughters with their MBPs (that I bought!) while I was still suffering through Windows and all its problems.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada

13" is for light users, 15" is for gamers and people who use the laptop a lot more in my opinion. and 17" is too big for me. I bought the 15" and would never go down to 13".
Oh and what convinced me to get my core i7 15" macbook pro? simple, core i7 in a sexy designed laptop that lasts longer than any other laptop's battery, though the core i7 does not last the advertised time.. usually around 5-6 hours tops. The only time you will get close to 9 hours is if you leave it sitting there doing nothing. Still, 5-6 hours is better than my friends 2 hours on his asus 1.6ghz core i7 720qm with some useless gpu that drains battery. If you do end up getting a macbook pro with the auto graphics switching, i suggest getting gfxCardStatus, it tells you which card is in use, because some applications drain a lot of battery by using the nvidia card even though it's not needed.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006

Better words can not be said. The same thing happened to me. Macs JUST WORK!! There is no issues with installing a driver and having that hardware mysteriously stop working. There is so much less headache involved.

One Word: Streamlined; it is a streamlined PC.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
13" is for light users, 15" is for gamers and people who use the laptop a lot more in my opinion. and 17" is too big for me. I bought the 15" and would never go down to 13".
Oh and what convinced me to get my core i7 15" macbook pro? simple, core i7 in a sexy designed laptop that lasts longer than any other laptop's battery, though the core i7 does not last the advertised time.. usually around 5-6 hours tops. The only time you will get close to 9 hours is if you leave it sitting there doing nothing. Still, 5-6 hours is better than my friends 2 hours on his asus 1.6ghz core i7 720qm with some useless gpu that drains battery. If you do end up getting a macbook pro with the auto graphics switching, i suggest getting gfxCardStatus, it tells you which card is in use, because some applications drain a lot of battery by using the nvidia card even though it's not needed.

I must agree they are pretty sick, but the 13" is by no means for light users. Mine kicks the snot out of one of my roommate's 17" HP, and his has twice as much RAM. Granted, I will more than likely upgrade that sometime this summer, but I absolutely love my 13", and I use it all the time with some gaming as well. I'm no heavy gamer, but I could run the Autodesk Suite (CAD engineering software) which is pretty intense, without a problem. It wasn't as fast as the workstations that we used it on in the class room, but still not bad for a small notebook.

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
I usually keep my laptops for 3-4 years. I was looking for a quality laptop that would allow me to do pretty much everything I can do on my iMac and for me that was a MBP. I went with the 13 inch but I upgraded the RAM and Hard Drive. I love it. This was my first mac laptop, I used HP for the last ten years. I could have gotten away with using a macbook but I prefer the look and feel of Aluminum over plastic, this was just a personal preference. I would highly recommend the MBP.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
So I could go to my local Starbucks and sit at one of the tables with the glowing Apple logo beaming at everyone as they walk in, while sipping on a cappuccino that tastes like warmed 'the last of the milk carton' with coffe grounds, because it's what pompous people do.

Okay, not really, since I haven't been to any coffee shop since before I started using Macs.

This is the reason I switched:

I actually pay for the software I use now, so it makes me feel all warm and legal inside.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
The unibody design, the trackpad with multitouch gestures, OS X and still having the ability to run Windows when needed. Plus the general speed and performance where I don't feel like I'm taking a step down from using my desktop.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
i wanted a laptop that looks really sexy and classy. wanted a BEASTLY laptop. wanted the best mbp mac has to offer. wanted the glowing white apple logo. wanted to be one with the elite laptop owners. wants to stand out when im in public with my mbp. yeah...i could rant more, but i wanted a mbp to be ON TOP! ;):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.